added umph

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Is it possible to add a hub drive as an enhancement to the crank main system?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes. Here's one, the Giant Lafree having a Panasonic crank unit to which the owner has added a Heinzmann front hub motor.

He could have switched the Lafree battery to supply either one or other, but in this case he's been cheeky and added a tiny petrol generator on the carrier. I think a second battery would have been more practical, allowing individual or combined use:

Reactions: bigclick

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Yes. Here's one, the Giant Lafree having a Panasonic crank unit to which the owner has added a Heinzmann front hub motor.

He could have switched the Lafree battery to supply either one or other, but in this case he's been cheeky and added a tiny petrol generator on the carrier. I think a second battery would have been more practical, allowing individual or combined use:

lol The generater idea has been deployed by BMW in the i3 as a range extender

Reactions: flecc

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I am thinking about putting my Dillenger 1000 watt front hub on my Apolo Evade with the BBS02 crank drive.
Coupled with a pair of HK 16Ah lipos in a triangle bag it should be an interesting ride. Just need to save up for the batteries first.

D

Deleted member 4366

How long have you had this battery for Dave and what is the most mileage you've gotten from it ?

MS.
The 30aH one belongs to Saneagle. I made it for him out of scrap LiFePO4 ones that I acquired. I had to mix and match lots of cells from different packs to get all the best ones. I then added a 40A BMS from EVAssemble and Bob's your uncle. We've never been anywhere far enough to test it with normal riding, but I reckon it should do 90 miles of normal bike riding since you can get 30 miles out of a 10aH one. It has 1080 watt-hours, so those people that can get 40 miles out of a Bosch battery, should be able to do over 100 miles.

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The 30aH one belongs to Saneagle. I made it for him out of scrap LiFePO4 ones that I acquired. I had to mix and match lots of cells from different packs to get all the best ones. I then added a 40A BMS from EVAssemble and Bob's your uncle. We've never been anywhere far enough to test it with normal riding, but I reckon it should do 90 miles of normal bike riding since you can get 30 miles out of a 10aH one. It has 1080 watt-hours, so those people that can get 40 miles out of a Bosch battery, should be able to do over 100 miles.
That is good stuff but with three motors and the battery it must weigh a ton. At the end of the day I assume it was initially designed for road use only and knowing you a Saneagle that bike must be running at least 99.9% efficient. Ninety miles though Dave will definitely make you constipated for weeks so I can see why that challenge has not been taken up yet.:)

MS.

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry, I misunderstood which bike you meant. The one with three motors runs off lipos. 64v(16S) 10aH for the two hub motors and 48v (12S) 5aH for the middle motor - about 4500w all together. I guess total torque is over 200Nm. Range is not its strong point if you give it full power. I built it for four runs up Park Street in Bristol, which is about 2 miles total, but I reckon that if you were gentle on the throttle (not easy), it could probably do 20 miles - after all, it does have 814wh in the battery. If I were to use it as a normal bike, I'd add a pedal sensor to the middle motor so that you only get power from that one when pedalling, and keep the throttle driving all three for bursts of power. Acceleration is pretty good, as its torque to weight ratio is about eight times that of a Yamaha R1!

Advertisers