adjust brakes

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all Im not very good at all this but looking at this photo of my back brake, whats best way to adjust this, as at the moment its not pulling brake on. obviously the wire attached to lever moves to the right when pulling on brakes, but i cant seem to find how to adjust them

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Main problem is a nut missing where the cable goes through the left side rotating arm (left of the spring). That means the cable is not pulling anything.
When the nut is in you have course adjustment by (a) loosen the nut, (b) pull cable through, (c) tighten the nut.
Fine adjustment where the cable goes through the fixed post on the right (right of the spring). (a) back of the right hand (lock) nut, (b) adjust with the left hand nut (the nut next to the post), (c) retighten the lock nut.

Often a good way to adjust is first to get the course adjustment about right. (a) loosen the course adjustment nut, (b) arrange the fine adjustment to half way, (c) course adjust, pull the cable as tight as possible with the left rotating arm pulled to the brake engaged position, (d) tighten the course adjustment nut. The brakes will now be locked on.
Now back up the fine adjustment so the brake is not locked on, but a smallish pull of the brake lever engages it.

When doing adjustment make sure that wherever brake cable outer segments end the cable outer segments are properly seated. This applies especially at the brake lever.

Last edited:

WavyDavy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
There seem to be few nuts and bolts missing. There should be a nut and bolt anchoring the torque arm and also a nut and washer on the cable clamp. Once the cable is clamped and the spring on the little nib on the lever you can adjust the brake with the adjuster on the end of the outer cable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh looking at the state of the few inchs of cable we can see I would change the outer and inner completely and start a fresh.
As been mentioned the rear securing nut for the cable clamp is missing until that is replaced the brake will never work, the item WavyDavy has mentioned as a T/A isn't it is part of the hub brake mechanism. It looks like a bolt is required to hold the end of the mechanism's arm to the cable adjustment bracket this also will hold the bracket in place to prevent it moving. Once you are sorted also get some aluminium cable end ferules to crimp on to the wire to prevent fraying.

The wire clamp bolt on the end may need a new one as the thread may well be damaged.
Inked2019-08-11_100521_LI.jpg

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all many thanks for your help, Regarding
There seem to be few nuts and bolts missing.
thats my fault as I had removed those to give it a go no nuts bolts are missing, what you said here WavyDavy
you can adjust the brake with the adjuster on the end of the outer cable.
I have enclosed a picture below where the red arrow is pointing end of spring goes onto where yellow arrow is. and do you mean where blue arrow is
the adjuster on the end of the outer cable

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Main problem is a nut missing where the cable goes through the left side rotating arm (left of the spring). That means the cable is not pulling anything.
When the nut is in you have course adjustment by (a) loosen the nut, (b) pull cable through, (c) tighten the nut.
Fine adjustment where the cable goes through the fixed post on the right (right of the spring). (a) back of the right hand (lock) nut, (b) adjust with the left hand nut (the nut next to the post), (c) retighten the lock nut.

Often a good way to adjust is first to get the course adjustment about right. (a) loosen the course adjustment nut, (b) arrange the fine adjustment to half way, (c) course adjust, pull the cable as tight as possible with the left rotating arm pulled to the brake engaged position, (d) tighten the course adjustment nut. The brakes will now be locked on.
Now back up the fine adjustment so the brake is not locked on, but a smallish pull of the brake lever engages it.

When doing adjustment make sure that wherever brake cable outer segments end the cable outer segments are properly seated. This applies especially at the brake lever.

Hi sorry to ask this but I am a bit confused with all you are saying. would it be possible if you could edit my picture with arrows like i have to explain. sorry Im no good at all this

This is how it look at the moment but I think its wrong like that. I will of course get a new cable but just need to fix brake temp for now so at least I have a brake

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The spring generally shouldn't be under so much tension/compression as in you pic above. Use a combination of winding out the adjuster screw and the brake lever adjustment to arrive at a point where the brake works well.
I would start by undoing the cable clamp bolt , wind the rear adjustment screw in and also wind in the lever adjustment. Then tighten the rear wire clamp bolt with less spring compression and try the brakes. From there on you need to make adjustment's for good brake feel/stopping ability.
For lever travel use the lever adjustment and for rear brake bite use the rear adjustment screw.
Once you get it working satisfactory then you can renew the inner cable.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The spring generally should be under so much tension/compression as in you pic above. Use a combination of winding out the adjuster screw and the brake lever adjustment to arrive at a point where the brake works well.
I would start by undoing the cable clamp bolt , wind the rear adjustment screw in and also wind in the lever adjustment. Then tighten the rear wire clamp bolt with less spring compression and try the brakes. From there on you need to make adjustment's for good brake feel/stopping ability.
For lever travel use the lever adjustment and for rear brake bite use the rear adjustment screw.
Once you get it working satisfactory then you can renew the inner cable.

Thank you so much without this site I would be lost on my electric bike I know its an old bike but as long as it gets me A to B Im ok with it. maybe will invest 1 day in a modern bike. its most helpful with these forums. thanks all

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looking more carefully I had the fine adjustment the wrong way round. I'm pretty sure the main adjustment is the right one and goes right through the arm that holds it; the left one is the lock nut which should be turned tight against the holding arm once the adjustment is complete.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thank you so much without this site I would be lost on my electric bike I know its an old bike but as long as it gets me A to B Im ok with it. maybe will invest 1 day in a modern bike. its most helpful with these forums. thanks all
You may have to be patient with getting good brake bite & lever travel/feel so it may take several attempts of adjustment to get it working quite well.
Not forgetting that generally the front brake usually does about 70% of the braking, the rear should work well with out it locking up completely.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
You may have to be patient with getting good brake bite & lever travel/feel so it may take several attempts of adjustment to get it working quite well.
Not forgetting that generally the front brake usually does about 70% of the braking, the rear should work well with out it locking up completely.
Well I just took bike for a test run, and yes back brake, needs a bit more adjustment will adjust again