ADO A20

Kendoville

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2021
Bonnybridge
I have recently bought an ADO A20 and being a UK user have found that the 350w rear motor is illegal so wonder about fitting a 250w 20" rear wheel to replace it .... can anyone help?

Reactions: belfastbiker

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, that is technically illegal. So also are the full speed throttle and 35kph maximum speed (if it's unlocked); you are more likely to have legal issues with those, but any issues are very unlikely.

The nominal power of a motor is the slightly silly parameter used legally; most 250w motors go to at least 500w and often 750w peak. Also, it is not uncommon for the same motor to be stamped 350w for the US market and 250w for the UK/EU one.

If you changed the motor you would probably need to change the control system as well to make it legal, almost certainly not worth the cost. Even though I am a largely law abiding citizen I'd be inclined to ride it (carefully) as is; otherwise return it (if at all possible) or sell it on.

I guess 'electric scooters London' are not too concerned with the detailed legal aspect of what they sell, as almost all electric scooters are illegal for UK roads/bridleways/cycle paths/etc. I don't know if you can use 'unfit for purpose' as a reason for return.

One trouble with that bike is that the fat tyres somehow make it look as if it might be illegal, and so could attract attention.

Kendoville

Jun 15, 2021
Bonnybridge
Hoping, then, that the A20 I have with a 350w motor, will be 'under the radar' and not attract any attention from the cops ... unless I have an accident! The A20 tyres are 20" x 1.95 so shouldn't attract the 'fat tyre chasers' either .... well, some strategic 250w stickers and my fingers crossed should do it ....

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hoping, then, that the A20 I have with a 350w motor, will be 'under the radar' and not attract any attention from the cops ...
This is the extent of Police enforcement...

1_Scooter.jpg

Any motor beyond 250w is still illegal to use on lanes and cycle-paths - it's for use on private land only with the landowners permission. In all seriousness, provided you don't ride like a nutter carving everyone up, you'll probably be okay.

Why didn't you buy a 250w version instead - something like a Fiido D4S? It looks almost the same, but legal.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
well, some strategic 250w stickers and my fingers crossed should do it ....
I'd skip that part. In the very unlikely situation you are challenged and they look carefully at the bike that will indicate intention to break the law.

djneils98

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2021
you'll be fine - the A20 comes restricted to 25kmh / 250w as standard and the chances of the police being interested in it are about the same as winning the lottery.
I have a D4s and never have any issues inspite of unlocked 32knh speed and throttle.
With all the scooters to worry about and the bikes with hub motors that look like dustbin lids bikes like ours aren't even on the radar.
How are you liking the A20? am tempted to get one for slightly higher speed and suspension

Kendoville

Jun 15, 2021
Bonnybridge
you'll be fine - the A20 comes restricted to 25kmh / 250w as standard and the chances of the police being interested in it are about the same as winning the lottery.
I have a D4s and never have any issues inspite of unlocked 32knh speed and throttle.
With all the scooters to worry about and the bikes with hub motors that look like dustbin lids bikes like ours aren't even on the radar.
How are you liking the A20? am tempted to get one for slightly higher speed and suspension
The ADO A20 seems very good so far .... I'm going to check the range I get on a battery charge as I, 15st 6lbs, don't seem to get that far ...

daypet1

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2020
I have recently bought an ADO A20 and being a UK user have found that the 350w rear motor is illegal so wonder about fitting a 250w 20" rear wheel to replace it .... can anyone help?
I thought the same and when i inspected the hub motor its stamped 250 so problem solved, i am sure its still more than 250 because 36 x 15amp is close to 500W and the motor doesn't care.

daypet1

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2020
I do have a question though and this might be in the wrong place so don't shoot me, I have and ADO A20 and the forks seem to be a bit loose in the head tube, how do you tighten them ? does anyone know ? what if i wanted to replace them with something a bit better is that possible ?

daypet1

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2020
Did you check what sort of range you’re getting?
I know this was not my question, but i ride from bexleyheath to tower bridge and back a total of 24 or 25 miles and still have 3/5 battery left, i am a similar weight and its a big hill at the end on the way home which is only made possible by the bike.this is all PAS not tried throttle only but the left crank did work loose and without the correct allen key was forced to throttle the last 6 miles and it didn't seem to make much difference to what was left. mainly because its the same hill i suppose.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm one of the one's who think all the hub motor windings of the same nominal voltage are the same whether 250, 350 or 500w and they are just marked differently for the market geographic area.
Despite what the the motor will take wattage wise it is the marking that count's to satisfy law.