Advice about an E-Bike

JoniiBravo

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2020
Hi All,

I want to buy an E-Bike for a daily commute to work totalling about 20 miles. I live in a very hilly part of Yorkshire and I need something that will handle hills, I am no spring chicken anymore so I need as much help as I can get getting up those hills, although I used to cycle everywhere when I was younger. I can possibly avoid the 13.8% gradient hill but there are a few 8%-10% gradients to traverse on the journey into work.

I also want something that has navigation so when I want to go somewhere I can navigate to my destination although this is not a priority it would be good to have this.

My budget is circa £3000.

Any suggestions?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: AndyBike

Pokitren

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2022
Hi All,

I want to buy an E-Bike for a daily commute to work totalling about 20 miles. I live in a very hilly part of Yorkshire and I need something that will handle hills, I am no spring chicken anymore so I need as much help as I can get getting up those hills, although I used to cycle everywhere when I was younger. I can possibly avoid the 13.8% gradient hill but there are a few 8%-10% gradients to traverse on the journey into work.

I also want something that has navigation so when I want to go somewhere I can navigate to my destination although this is not a priority it would be good to have this.

My budget is circa £3000.

Any suggestions?
Sorry for the stupid question. Would an electric bike help you ride the 13.8% hill you want to avoid? I have hills like that, I'm wondering.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Cube Reaction Hybrid EXC 750 2022

£3,299.00
As above, seems ideal.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I've never seen a bike that has ready fitted navigation, probably because there are so many off-the-shelf bike navigation units available from apps you can run off a smart phone to dedicated units from Garmin and everything in between.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bosch nyon displays have built in sat nav or the kiox display will work with the bosch app on a Mobil phone as a cheaper option.

Reactions: Bikes4two

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Aventon Level Power: 500W Weight: 58 lb. Top speed: 28 mph
And totally illegal in this country. Not sensible for a regular daily commute unless the OP intends to short-cut across the Dales rather than the roads of Yorkshire.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Sorry for the stupid question. Would an electric bike help you ride the 13.8% hill you want to avoid? I have hills like that, I'm wondering.
Very definetly it can help.

There are hills like that round by me, and on max assist a 1:7 is a great deal less effort thanwithout the motor.

Reactions: Pokitren

Max Tolerance

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2022
Buy the one you like. They will all cope with steep hills. Navigation gadgets are prolific so that would be up to you to find one you like but £3k is more than enough. Doesn't matter which one you buy you will always have a nagging doubt that the other one might have been a better choice, Cest la vie!

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Buy the one you like. They will all cope with steep hills. Navigation gadgets are prolific so that would be up to you to find one you like but £3k is more than enough. Doesn't matter which one you buy you will always have a nagging doubt that the other one might have been a better choice, Cest la vie!
I disagree. I have two friends with eBikes who can’t get up some hills that mine handles fine.

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
So which models do they have and what do you ride? It would be useful to know.
I’m not sure what their models are but they are both rear hub motors.

I have a Cube Kathmandu Pro 625 that has no problem with even the worst hills. I would recommend a mid drive such as the Bosch CX4 or equivalent with at least 80nm torque and a good gear range. That’s why I suggested a Cube Kathmandu. They are around the price range or even less if you can find a used one.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Here's one near me almost as steep, ignore the terrain profile graphic as there is no downhill bit in this hill. A 12.2 mph climbing speed seems reasonable enough despite not being in the least bit bike fit at the moment. https://www.strava.com/segments/11810750

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Of course it would. That's one of the reasons people buy them. However hard it was to pedal up with a normal bike, you'd need approximately 1/4 the effort with an electric one.

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
For navigation clamp a mobile phone to your handlebars and run app Komoot. It will plan your route and guide you with a map and voice. It works well and is very good at keeping you on bike paths and off busy roads whenever possible.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
One thing that really matters on hills is the weight of the rider - so power/kg - I can't keep up with my wife on hills although I am a stronger pedaller because she is half the weight !
It all depends - I did manage to get up a 21% hill with a Woosh XF08C rear hub conversion (which is moderately powered - there are more pwoerful motors available) - I did slow down to 10 km/h and was pedalling pretty hard but I would have never got up there without motor assistance (I am 16.5 stone)