Advice, expertise and opinions needed.

Silas Flyn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
This forum is so useful and I hope I am not overloading it with these thoughts and a request for opinions.
I’ve decided to buy an ebike because I need assistance to travel due to the inevitable limitations of maturity…… alright Im getting old and creaky!
I’ve read as much as possible, viewed endless websites and I’ve now tried 6 ebikes although only for a few minutes each.
I’m drawn towards the logic of a crank drive system using the gears on the bike, just as mopeds and motor bikes do.
I intend to use pedal assist to help keep fit but I will need a throttle for when the knees go on strike.
I’ve not come to this from being an enthusiastic cyclist so I don’t have an understanding of the finer points of frame design nor a requirement to match effort and cadence through a complex choice of gearing.
If I say that price is not an issue it doesn’t mean that I’m rich but that I would pay what it costs for the perfect solution. I’m probably looking in the range of £700 -£1500 which gives me a wide choice. More than that seems to only involve more exotic materials and brand names or is that just me parading my ignorance?
I’m not tall, 5’ 7” and weigh 80Kg. I have a small motorhome, an estate car and three dogs. I’ll buy a tow bar mounted carrier.
I live in Mid Devon so there will be hills but not mountains, I’ll be walking the dogs so I’ll use paths and country park trails and will need a slow speed capability at times (short legged dogs).
I think a folding bike would give me more carrying and perhaps storing options but that won’t include taking on public transport.
Folding is not essential if a non folder would suit me better. I would like mudguards and a carrier which I could fit myself.
I have tried a large dutch style bike which I found heavy and cumbersome, two 20” wheel folders which I found short and twitchy and one 24” wheel folder which was much better. I was impressed with the power of a Wisper (not subtle but fun) and not impressed with the very subtle power delivery of a Bosch system.
What I probably should do now is buy one, ride it, reassess my needs and opinions and then buy the second one as a keeper.
But which one:
Woosh Zephyr CDN which fulfils the folding and crank drive requirements but has 20” wheels although GloveMakingMan has been very reassuring in his reports. Not available until August 8th.
John Cade’s Woosh Sport which is available right now and would give me much needed experience but might not sell well later third hand.
Byocycle Chameleon XL with 24” wheels but it’s rear hub drive and I can find no reviews and no other bikes with 24” wheels.
After that I would go with any Kudos or Ezee bike recommendation simply because Dave and John are so accessible and willing to share expertise and opinions.
Help
Silas

hoppy

May 25, 2010
This forum is so useful and I hope I am not overloading it with these thoughts and a request for opinions.
I’ve decided to buy an ebike because I need , viewed endless websites and I’ve now tried 6 ebikes although only for a few minutes each.
I’m drawn towards the logic of a crank drive system using the gears on the bike, just as mopeds and motor bikes do.
I intend to use pedal assist to help keep fit but I will need a throttle for when the knees go on strike.
I’ve not come to this from being an enthusiastic cyclist so I don’t have an understanding of the finer points of frame design nor a requirement to match effort and cadence through a complex choice of gearing.
If I say that price is not an issue it doesn’t mean that I’m rich but that I would pay what it costs for the perfect solution. I’m probably looking in the range of £700 -£1500 which gives me a wide choice. More than that seems to only involve more exotic materials and brand names or is that just me parading my ignorance?
I’m not tall, 5’ 7” and weigh 80Kg. I have a small motorhome, an estate car and three dogs. I’ll buy a tow bar mounted carrier.
I live in Mid Devon so there will be hills but not mountains, I’ll be walking the dogs so I’ll use paths and country park trails and will need a slow speed capability at times (short legged dogs).
I think a folding bike would give me more carrying and perhaps storing options but that won’t include taking on public transport.
Folding is not essential if a non folder would suit me better. I would like mudguards and a carrier which I could fit myself.
I have tried a large dutch style bike which I found heavy and cumbersome, two 20” wheel folders which I found short and twitchy and one 24” wheel folder which was much better. I was impressed with the power of a Wisper (not subtle but fun) and not impressed with the very subtle power delivery of a Bosch system.
What I probably should do now is buy one, ride it, reassess my needs and opinions and then buy the second one as a keeper.
But which one:
Woosh Zephyr CDN which fulfils the folding and crank drive requirements but has 20” wheels although GloveMakingMan has been very reassuring in his reports. Not available until August 8th.
John Cade’s Woosh Sport which is available right now and would give me much needed experience but might not sell well later third hand.
Byocycle Chameleon XL with 24” wheels but it’s rear hub drive and I can find no reviews and no other bikes with 24” wheels.
After that I would go with any Kudos or Ezee bike recommendation simply because Dave and John are so accessible and willing to share expertise and opinions.
Help
Silas
Have you tried the Tonaros?Crankdrive and throttle. Powerpedals at South Molton should be handy for you!

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
John Cade's best.
It has about the fastest speed if derestricted out of all the legal bikes, light, goes in the back of the car nearly just as quickly as a folder, the range is not bad either, about 23 miles on flat roads and you are not going to lose any money on it and if you do, won't be much.
Fit a rear rack and put a basket on it for one dog.

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Thanks Hoppy, Jonah from Bike Higher has invited me to try some of his bikes and I planned to include Powerpedals in the trip. I haven't read much about Tonaro and I see that you have one, they look good.
Trex, I now have one decision less as I see that Denwyn has decided to buy the Sport CD.
And John, thank you as well, the Primo is now on the spreadsheet.
What am I going to do with all my spare time once the decision is made?
Silas

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Lots of info but still better if you tell us how far you want to go and if you want to travel quickly?

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Apologies for too much info. Essential distance will involve 5 miles each way to the local village and dog walks of up to 5ish miles, other trips will be just leisure and more likely to be limited by time available than battery life. I don't need to travel quickly although I'm still daft enough to enjoy a bit of speed!

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Hoppy, I found some spare time this afternoon and drove up to South Molton. I have to report that Powerpedals are no longer at the address shown on their website. I have no further information and neighbouring businesses couldn't help. Another company in the town have recently started selling eMopeds and Cyclotricity ebikes but they weren't offering any information either.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Hoppy, I found some spare time this afternoon and drove up to South Molton. I have to report that Powerpedals are no longer at the address shown on their website. I have no further information and neighbouring businesses couldn't help. Another company in the town have recently started selling eMopeds and Cyclotricity ebikes but they weren't offering any information either.
That's a worry. Did you ring them? Beardedave took delivery of his new Compy only seven days ago.

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
I didn't think to ring them, the unit looked empty, there was no note in the window and I'd had problems finding all of their products on the website so I just assumed that was that. I'm new to ebikes so it was only when I came home and Googled that I realised that Powerpedals and Tonaro have been around for a few years. Certainly long enough to upset Eddio!

hoppy

May 25, 2010
I didn't think to ring them, the unit looked empty, there was no note in the window and I'd had problems finding all of their products on the website so I just assumed that was that. I'm new to ebikes so it was only when I came home and Googled that I realised that Powerpedals and Tonaro have been around for a few years. Certainly long enough to upset Eddio!
I'll ring them on Monday. I hope they are ok. I'd like to buy another one, mine has been so good!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
That would be a shame, they were nice people who I met several times. I'll have a look next time I'm passing.

Silas, please get in touch if you want to try some bikes locally. It is best to phone or email first to make sure one of us is available.

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Thank you Jonah, I'm planning to come asap, it's just that opportunities are limited. I'll certainly give you a call first to arrange.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
You will always get plenty of help and advice on here, even though I havent always followed it I have indeed purchased the almost new Woosh Cd Sport, after many recommendations on here. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow, and I will I hope, fingers crossed like it. Should it be ok I will fit a rack and some sort of chainguard, and look into a bigger battery, for longer rides. Lots of good advice on here, and plenty of help as well.

Silas Flyn

Jul 22, 2014
Mid Devon EX16
Thanks Hoppy that is good news, I'll go for a trial ride ASAP.

Denwyn, I hope the CD Sport works for you I'll watch for future reports. I was sorely tempted but it was not what I set out buy and I think I need to explore a folder first. Nobody, however, has said that I can't have two ebikes!

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks Hoppy that is good news, I'll go for a trial ride ASAP.

Denwyn, I hope the CD Sport works for you I'll watch for future reports. I was sorely tempted but it was not what I set out buy and I think I need to explore a folder first. Nobody, however, has said that I can't have two ebikes!
No it wasn't what I set out to buy, I tried several, and if I had the money I know what I would have bought, anyway my budget was cut and this seemed a bit to good to turn away from, I hope it works out. It should be here tomorrow, weather permitting I plan getting out on it. I dont thinki would get away with two e bikes, as it is my lovely Marin bike is going this weekend :-( Hope you get sorted soon