Advice on converting a folder please

Miznomer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2010
Hi guys, just looking to see if I’m going in the right direction here.
Most relevant facts are that I live in a hilly area (West Cork, Ireland) and I like to put my bike in the car - so I want to keep it as light as possible. After reading loads of threads and much deliberation, I’ve decided to get the tongsheng from PSW power. tsdz2 tongsheng 36V 250W or 350W 42T VLCD5 TSDZ2 electric bicycle central mid motor with throttle e-brake lever (pswpower.com)
Basically right now I have an airnimal Joey (24” folder) and an old bike Friday (20” folder) I picked up last year that needs some work. Part of my decision to go with a mid drive is I can change it from one bike to another if I feel it might be better suited (Bike Friday will be easier to put in the car) I almost never fold them so losing folding ability isn't a problem. The small wheel size allows me to put them in the car as is.
As I’m getting on and starting to have hip problems, I’m thinking I should get a throttle and it seems that then I should put on the ebrakes – Is it the case that if, to keep things simple, I don’t put them on initially, it will be possible to do later?
Also, I feel like I’ve read somewhere that if I go for the throttle version, I need to go for the VLCD5 display. Is this true or is there a smaller display that would be compatible?
I’m inclined to go with the 350watt, there doesn’t seem to be a weight penalty, and besides the slight issue of legality, is there any other reason not to?

Re:Battery – something like this is what I had in mind. It seems to have come down in price since I last checked, but that could be coz it’s shifted to the American site when I look for batteries.
EU stock Water Bottle Battery 36V 10AH Electric Bike Lithium ion eBike Battery pack (pswpower.com)
I think 10 AH would be loads as I hope to be contributing most of the energy most of the time, is there any reason to up the voltage?
I take safety and sustainability quite seriously, and assume that such a cheap battery might not be great in these regards? Is there another compatible one anyone would recommend? I guess I don’t want to spend at the really higher end until I know that this is something I will really use. I like to think I might substitute it for local car trips, but once the weather changes and the evenings draw in, I’m pretty sure the car will win out most of the time!

Thanks in advance! Catherine

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi guys, just looking to see if I’m going in the right direction here.
Most relevant facts are that I live in a hilly area (West Cork, Ireland) and I like to put my bike in the car - so I want to keep it as light as possible. After reading loads of threads and much deliberation, I’ve decided to get the tongsheng from PSW power. tsdz2 tongsheng 36V 250W or 350W 42T VLCD5 TSDZ2 electric bicycle central mid motor with throttle e-brake lever (pswpower.com)
Basically right now I have an airnimal Joey (24” folder) and an old bike Friday (20” folder) I picked up last year that needs some work. Part of my decision to go with a mid drive is I can change it from one bike to another if I feel it might be better suited (Bike Friday will be easier to put in the car)
As I’m getting on and starting to have hip problems, I’m thinking I should get a throttle and it seems that then I should put on the ebrakes – Is it the case that if, to keep things simple, I don’t put them on initially, it will be possible to do later?
Also, I feel like I’ve read somewhere that if I go for the throttle version, I need to go for the VLCD5 display. Is this true or is there a smaller display that would be compatible?
I’m inclined to go with the 350watt, there doesn’t seem to be a weight penalty, and besides the slight issue of legality, is there any other reason not to?

Re:Battery – something like this is what I had in mind. It seems to have come down in price since I last checked, but that could be coz it’s shifted to the American site when I look for batteries.
EU stock Water Bottle Battery 36V 10AH Electric Bike Lithium ion eBike Battery pack (pswpower.com)
I think 10 AH would be loads as I hope to be contributing most of the energy most of the time, is there any reason to up the voltage?
I take safety and sustainability quite seriously, and assume that such a cheap battery might not be great in these regards? Is there another compatible one anyone would recommend? I guess I don’t want to spend at the really higher end until I know that this is something I will really use. I like to think I might substitute it for local car trips, but once the weather changes and the evenings draw in, I’m pretty sure the car will win out most of the time!

Thanks in advance! Catherine
20" bikes are not so good with a crank motor because you need a big chainwheel. Hub motors are better anyway. I would never fit a crank motor to a small-wheeled folding bike. it doesn't give any advantage over a hub-motor.

You're starting to over-think your idea. Just do it, and you'll be happy. All batteries are fine, even the cheap ones, but not those scam ones on Ebay, that pretend to give you 100Ah for £60. I have to add that those bottle batteries are not the most waterproof. A cover might help if you use it or park it in the rain.

Watts doesn't mean anything. Don't think that a 350w motor will give you more power than a 250w one. You can get a legal 250w system that will give you everything you need, which depends on how heavy you are, how steep the hills are and how far you have to go.

A throttle is always useful. I don't think you can set up throttles to be legal on a TSDZ02, but you can with a hub-motor if you choose the right controller. Nobody cares in England, but I don't know about Ireland.

Electric folding bikes are very awkward to handle. It's OK to stick one in a boot occasionally, but it's not something you'd want to do every day unless you have a big incentive, especially with a dodgy hip. It's a lot easier if you can fit it in with just the handlebars and pedals folded down, rather than a hinge in the middle.

Last edited:

Miznomer

Feb 25, 2010
20" bikes are not so good with a crank motor because you need a big chainwheel. Hub motors are better anyway. I would never fit a crank motor to a small-wheeled folding bike. it doesn't give any advantage over a hub-motor.

You're starting to over-think your idea. Just do it, and you'll be happy. All batteries are fine, even the cheap ones, but not those scam ones on Ebay, that pretend to give you 100Ah for £60. I have to add that those bottle batteries are not the most waterproof. A cover might help if you use it or park it in the rain.

Watts doesn't mean anything. Don't think that a 350w motor will give you more power than a 250w one. You can get a legal 250w system that will give you everything you need, which depends on how heavy you are, how steep the hills are and how far you have to go.

A throttle is always useful. I don't think you can set up throttles to be legal on a TSDZ02, but you can with a hub-motor if you choose the right controller. Nobody cares in England, but I don't know about Ireland.

Electric folding bikes are very awkward to handle. It's OK to stick one in a boot occasionally, but it's not something you'd want to do every day unless you have a big incentive, especially with a dodgy hip. It's a lot easier if you can fit it in with just the handlebars and pedals folded down, rather than a hinge in the middle.
Thanks for your response, that's good to know about the battery.
Yes, I don't fold it as it is, I have a skoda roomster with the seats out so I manage to fit it in upright with a little jiggery pokery. But I do wonder if the added weight will just make it prohibitive, in which case it would make more sense to electrify a bigger wheeled bike, thus one of the reasons for getting a motor I can try on bigger wheels - and of course, overthink it!
Wouldn't a crank motor give me a more natural feel? I've had experiences of both and certainly preferred the former when it was a bike ride and not a push I wanted. What would you suggest for the least/ no resistance when not using the motor?
Why are throttles legal with a hub motor and not so for a crank motor?
Thanks again!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for your response, that's good to know about the battery.
Yes, I don't fold it as it is, I have a skoda roomster with the seats out so I manage to fit it in upright with a little jiggery pokery. But I do wonder if the added weight will just make it prohibitive, in which case it would make more sense to electrify a bigger wheeled bike, thus one of the reasons for getting a motor I can try on bigger wheels - and of course, overthink it!
Wouldn't a crank motor give me a more natural feel? I've had experiences of both and certainly preferred the former when it was a bike ride and not a push I wanted. What would you suggest for the least/ no resistance when not using the motor?
Why are throttles legal with a hub motor and not so for a crank motor?
Thanks again!
You can have a throttle that works independently up to 4mph, and regualtes the speed or power above that while you wave the pedals round without effort. The only rule is that the power must stop if the pedals stop when you're travelling above 4 mph. The advantage of a throttle, apart from pulling away without pedalling is that it acts as an instant override to whatever power you have set on your pedal assist. Throttles are not and never have been illegal. Riding a powered ebike above 4 mph without pedalling is illegal whether you have a throttle or not.

Miznomer

Feb 25, 2010
You can have a throttle that works independently up to 4mph, and regualtes the speed or power above that while you wave the pedals round without effort. The only rule is that the power must stop if the pedals stop when you're travelling above 4 mph. The advantage of a throttle, apart from pulling away without pedalling is that it acts as an instant override to whatever power you have set on your pedal assist. Throttles are not and never have been illegal. Riding a powered ebike above 4 mph without pedalling is illegal whether you have a throttle or not.
Great - thanks for the explanations - I'm not sure I completely understand why I can't set up a throttle to be legal with the tongshen but I can with the hub motor, but I'd be a long time looking for a guard around here so it's a minor concern at the moment!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Great - thanks for the explanations - I'm not sure I completely understand why I can't set up a throttle to be legal with the tongshen but I can with the hub motor, but I'd be a long time looking for a guard around here so it's a minor concern at the moment!
Its simply dependent on what's in the software in the controller. They're different controllers made by different companies that work in different ways.

Reactions: Miznomer