Advice on e bike

Aimee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2020
Hi I am new to e bikes. Having only tried one a motus e bike. I am looking for an e bike with disc brakes and suitable for a 5 ft lady with 28 inch legs. It has to be less than 1500 quid and able to cope with canal paths and some peak district hills. It also needs to have an easy to remove front wheel so I can put in the back of a Honda jazz with seats down. Any suggestions gratefully received. Xx

Reactions: Swizz

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Have you considered a folder? You're not tall but are you light to average weight? That can sometimes affect your choice. Most e bikes are back wheel driven so you could add a quick release to the front wheel with most I would think or sellers might do this for you.

Aimee

Sep 20, 2020
Have you considered a folder? You're not tall but are you light to average weight? That can sometimes affect your choice. Most e bikes are back wheel driven so you could add a quick release to the front wheel with most I would think or sellers might do this for you.
Thanks I did consider a folding bike but I am on the overly cuddly size and worried about the bike collapsing. Has anyone got a juicy bike classic click? If so any good and could I please have the measurements of the length of bike without the front wheel and the height of lowest seat and handlebar setting please. Xx

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Hi I am new to e bikes. Having only tried one a motus e bike. I am looking for an e bike with disc brakes and suitable for a 5 ft lady with 28 inch legs. It has to be less than 1500 quid and able to cope with canal paths and some peak district hills. It also needs to have an easy to remove front wheel so I can put in the back of a Honda jazz with seats down. Any suggestions gratefully received. Xx
Hiya Aimee,

I don't know how far you are from a Decathlon store but they stock quite a few sub £1500 eBikes that may meet your wishlist. Their bikes are usually pretty sturdy from experience.

Another option if you already have a bicycle is converting it with a kit.

I reckon you may tire of cramming an eBike in & out of your Honda on a regular basis but you will love the ride!

Lotsa luck in finding your new wheels,

Isla Xx

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Thanks I did consider a folding bike but I am on the overly cuddly size and worried about the bike collapsing.
Bikes would only possibly "collapse" if you greatly exceeded the rider weight limits which are usually specified . There's a tolerance so you can be a little over the limit - and the idea ideally is that the more you ride , you lose some weight over time.

Aimee

Sep 20, 2020
Hiya Aimee,

I don't know how far you are from a Decathlon store but they stock quite a few sub £1500 eBikes that may meet your wishlist. Their bikes are usually pretty sturdy from experience.

Another option if you already have a bicycle is converting it with a kit.

I reckon you may tire of cramming an eBike in & out of your Honda on a regular basis but you will love the ride!

Lotsa luck in finding your new wheels,

Isla Xx
Thanks never though of decathlon
.... the putting in car will only be a few times a year. Most of the time it will be out of the car.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Aimee

Sep 20, 2020
Bikes would only possibly "collapse" if you greatly exceeded the rider weight limits which are usually specified . There's a tolerance so you can be a little over the limit - and the idea ideally is that the more you ride , you lose some weight over time.
Thanks I will see what the weight limit is and weigh myself.. haven't dared check since Feb.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks I will see what the weight limit is and weigh myself.. haven't dared check since Feb.
Decathlon is a very good recommend if they have stock, if you decide the bike isn't to your liking one has one calender year to get a full refund.

Lucylettuce

Jun 9, 2020
I've recently purchased my first ebike so am no expert. Because of stock shortages everywhere, I had plenty of time to research exactly what I wanted. I'm 5ft 3,but with a longer inside leg, so thought I'd be OK with an 18inch frame. Because of the additional weight of an ebike, I modified my choices. After trying a few normal bikes, I realised I'd need a smaller frame and wheels no bigger than 26 inches. I'm so pleased I took my time, as I may well have ended up with a bike that was too big for me. I had to discount several bikes because they were just too big,and I feel more secure being able to put my feet on the ground. If you can, try a few bikes for size, and see what you feel most comfortable with. I got a santana three from woosh, which I'm really pleased with. Hatti from woosh was very helpful and able to offer lots of useful advice. Juicy and wisper were also very helpful. Good luck finding the right bike first time.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I'm heavy, and I had to do a little research on some of the skinnier ebikes. What I found was 120Kg (19st) was a common recommended max figure for basic bikes, but there are definitely sturdier bikes out there that would take heavier folk (but then getting a chunky bike into a car won't be much fun).
If you're more than 120Kg it's probably worth double-checking before purchasing, but under that you'll be OK.

Last edited:

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Thanks never though of decathlon
.... the putting in car will only be a few times a year. Most of the time it will be out of the car.
I have a decathlon Riverside 500e, great bike, takes my heavy torso up hilly climbs with no problems, it’s a shame they are out of stock though..