Advice regarding the Alien GS2

kwackerman

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing an Alien GS 2 in the near future but want to know whether it is possible to upgrade the Alien in the future to either a 500 or 1000 watt ( off road ) motor and I assume an upgraded controller. I have seen quite a few fairly inexpensive hub motors on eBay and from what I have read on here most of them are of reasonble quality.
What would I need to buy to upgrade the motor on a GS2 to a 500 watt off road monster!?
Thanks for any help

Andy

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm not sure the GSII would be the right platform for what you want to do. I think you would have to throw away most of the bike leaving just the frame and handle bars to create a 'monster' ..by that I mean the front forks would have to go (not enough travel), the rims would need upgrading, new off-road tyres and disk brakes would be needed...and a better gear set... then on top a strong battery, motor and controller...would not be cheap IMHO....Or are you after just a faster road version?

Beware on Ebay: some of the hubs are direct drive motors and they have little torque, weigh far too much and are really designed for high speed rather than hill climbing.