After eleven years....

karl101

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2011
So, after eleven years of pedaling the old Wisper 905SEL is now in the hands of the local charity bike recycling centre.
old wisper bike.jpg
They weren't keen to take it, saying they couldn't recycle the battery as they were a commercial organisation. Eventually they accepted it when i said it was still good for 20 miles.

Karl.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
11 years ago and the original battery by the look of it! Carbon wrapped too.

Those were the days! Bosch motors had not even been conceived and we were trying to convince the big bike brands to start looking into ebikes, they thought we were completely mad.

I am so pleased that you have enjoyed the bike. Thanks for letting us know.

All the best, David

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Not as old at just 7 years old but you can see the similarities between the Wisper above and my old Oxygen Emate below showing that as a workhorse these generic Chinese rear hub machines were tough and worked and still work very well. I still use mine a lot for all sorts of tasks including an occasional 20 mile return trip to work.
Oxygen Emate City 001.JPG

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
i really like these stretched frame bikes for utility use. The long frame gives good stability and plenty of room for rear panniers without the problem of heal contact. Picked up a very well used 2009 ish 905se back in the summer from a forum member, and with a few parts I had, rebuilt it into a very useable bike for the princely sum of £34 inc battery and panniers. Don't care where I leave it and has become my most used bike.

Before
wisper 1.jpg
After
2018-09-09 12.57.03.jpg

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
34 quid ! That's amazing

Even if there just a hint of "see it, say it , sort it" about that battery [emoji12]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Even if there just a hint of "see it, say it , sort it" about that battery
!
Yeah, all my bikes are work in progress I'm afraid to say. :DWith winter coming it's not ideal, but it works. Plan to build a 48v 17.5Ah pack in the original case when funds available.:rolleyes:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I picked up what I thought was going to be a spars and repair second Oxygen Emate City at the end of the summer from the classified ad section of the forum for £100 and quickly realized that it had been very little used and would take very little to have it working and now use it along side my other Oxygen. In the end all it needed was a £10 saddle from the lidl. Even the battery came back to life.
Emate City 2 001.JPG
I documented the story in another thread.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/the-tale-of-a-£100-second-hand-electric-bike.33079/

No need to spend thousands on an ebike when you can pick up one of these work horses for so little.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yeah, all my bikes are work in progress I'm afraid to say. :DWith winter coming it's not ideal, but it works. Plan to build a 48v 17.5Ah pack in the original case when funds available.:rolleyes:
Hi Pete,

I may have a slightly damaged case I would be pleased to donate, if you give me a call I’ll check for you.

All the best, David

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I may have a slightly damaged case I would be pleased to donate, if you give me a call I’ll check for you.
Thanks very much for the offer David, but my case is OK. The battery on the bike is a reconfigured Bosch rack pack that is just a little too big to fit, hence the "temporary" fix.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks very much for the offer David, but my case is OK. The battery on the bike is a reconfigured Bosch rack pack that is just a little too big to fit, hence the "temporary" fix.
OK no worries Pete, if you need anything please let me know.