Me. too. Thanks for the info, been looking for something like that for ages

Pete
Need to find equipment? Ask James:D :D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
James

Just received my grips Velo Ergogel D3 Lock Handlebar Grips Ergon

My throttle is on the right hand side( twist) I would need to cut the new short grip down by around 1 1/4" to keep the throttle/battery meter, brake lever and gear shift where they are at present. No problem cutting it down as unlike the full length left hand grip that has a metal inner right to the end the right hand short grip is just the rubber with a plastic inner tube.
OK so far! cutting down the short grip would leave only the raised section of the grip as I would be cutting off all of the standard round section (does that make sense?)
I don`t think it would lead to problem, what do you reckon?
On the otherhand If I fitted the short grip without cutting it I would have to move everything along. No big problem with that other than because the new grip is that 1 1/4" longer than the existing it would move the front brake lever in by that amount.

You might say that it wouldn`t make any difference because in reality the position of the brake in conjuntion with the throttle and the first unraised section of the new grip would be similar to using the exisitng grip but having your hand out on the end of the bar using the raised section of the new grip for the proposed comfort that it might offer will make it more of a jump across to grab the front brake lever rather that just extending your fingers to grab the brake lever.

I think I`ve explained it for you to understand what I`m getting at.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
James

Just received my grips Velo Ergogel D3 Lock Handlebar Grips Ergon

My throttle is on the right hand side( twist) I would need to cut the new short grip down by around 1 1/4" to keep the throttle/battery meter, brake lever and gear shift where they are at present. No problem cutting it down as unlike the full length left hand grip that has a metal inner right to the end the right hand short grip is just the rubber with a plastic inner tube.
OK so far! cutting down the short grip would leave only the raised section of the grip as I would be cutting off all of the standard round section (does that make sense?)
I don`t think it would lead to problem, what do you reckon?
On the otherhand If I fitted the short grip without cutting it I would have to move everything along. No big problem with that other than because the new grip is that 1 1/4" longer than the existing it would move the front brake lever in by that amount.

You might say that it wouldn`t make any difference because in reality the position of the brake in conjuntion with the throttle and the first unraised section of the new grip would be similar to using the exisitng grip but having your hand out on the end of the bar using the raised section of the new grip for the proposed comfort that it might offer will make it more of a jump across to grab the front brake lever rather that just extending your fingers to grab the brake lever.

I think I`ve explained it for you to understand what I`m getting at.
Sorry - given the amount of equipment that is already on the right hand side of your handlebar, I have probably misled you.

Removing a further 1 1/4" from the already shortened right hand grip sounds too much, and would be insufficient to give a comfortable resting place for your palm. As you rightly say, you will have had to remove the round section, causing a step at the flat section.

On the Agattu, there is only the rotary gear shift between the grip and the brake lever, but it sounds as though you have throttle sleeve AND gear shift all on the same side.

It sounds as though it would be a lot of work to reorganise around these grips.

James

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
James

Thanks for coming back

I removed the old grips, shifted everything in to accept the new grips without cutting, fitted the grips without any cutting temporary.

Images here e-bike Photo Gallery by david chilvers at pbase.com

To be honest resting my hands in the position that they would have fallen in for braking and it seems very normal( as it would) holding the grips towards the outer limit where you would use them for max comfort and wrist support and I can still easily get my hands to the brakes ( I have fairly large hands)
So it would seem that even in an emergency I would still easily apply the brakes and if I were travelling fast downhill( chance would be a fine thing) then my hands would probably be away from the outer edge with full set of fingers on the levers. I just set it up to test so nothing lost. although I`ve cut the old grips off there is no problem because they were hard and horrible and after feeling the new grips I would never go back.

Road test yet to do and fine adjustment to angles etc but i see what you mean about the new grips, they are very comfortable and definitely keep your wrist more in line with your hand which I would think can be part and parcel to avoiding numbness on it`s own.

I`m glad I didn`t cut the new grips, I think they will work fine because the way my hands lay on the bars anyway they tend to be slightly pointing towards the centre of the bars.

Sorry about the poor images as I didn`t have time to set up any decent lights.Take a look at the images and let me know what you think.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and Yours

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
James

Thanks for coming back

I removed the old grips, shifted everything in to accept the new grips without cutting, fitted the grips without any cutting temporary.

Images here e-bike Photo Gallery by david chilvers at pbase.com

To be honest resting my hands in the position that they would have fallen in for braking and it seems very normal( as it would) holding the grips towards the outer limit where you would use them for max comfort and wrist support and I can still easily get my hands to the brakes ( I have fairly large hands)
So it would seem that even in an emergency I would still easily apply the brakes and if I were travelling fast downhill( chance would be a fine thing) then my hands would probably be away from the outer edge with full set of fingers on the levers. I just set it up to test so nothing lost. although I`ve cut the old grips off there is no problem because they were hard and horrible and after feeling the new grips I would never go back.

Road test yet to do and fine adjustment to angles etc but i see what you mean about the new grips, they are very comfortable and definitely keep your wrist more in line with your hand which I would think can be part and parcel to avoiding numbness on it`s own.

I`m glad I didn`t cut the new grips, I think they will work fine because the way my hands lay on the bars anyway they tend to be slightly pointing towards the centre of the bars.

Sorry about the poor images as I didn`t have time to set up any decent lights.Take a look at the images and let me know what you think.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and Yours

Dave
The snow cleared from the roads just enough for me to get around a 6 mile test run. A couple of on the road fine adjustments to grip angles and brake levers and I think I`ve got it just about right.

That`s the new stem extender + the grips. I`m just so glad i fitted the extender and those ergon type grips really do make a big difference. No numbness what so ever in the hands and suprisingly no big increase in weight on the bum.
My next project is maybe to do away with the type of gear shift fitted(it`s the type where you can just push a button to drop the gears down lower. I`ll probably invest in a bar mounted decent manual shift(like my MTB shift)

I have more room on the left hand side, does anyone have there gear shift on the left and can you see any reason not to?

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Pleased that you are managing with the grips, and finding a position that takes away much of the vibration and numbness.

Others will know more than I do about availability of rear shifters that can be used with the left hand. I can see clearly from the pictures of the handlebars that you could balance up the spacing if you can find a left handed, 6 speed shifter, but I am not sure that they exist.

James