Air Conditioning

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our heatwaves are usually so brief I hadn't bothered to bring out my air conditioner so far this year and connect it to the exhaust duct to outdoors, but I've finally just done that with today and tomorrow OTT heatwise.

Nice, windows closed and in minutes the room down by three degrees and dropping, the environment will have to take second place until Saturday's cooler temperatures.

Solarstorm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2018
I thought a lot about getting a portable air conditioning unit with the recent heat. I didn't seem to be able to find one with even semi decent reviews though.

Is yours quiet enough to use while sleeping?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought a lot about getting a portable air conditioning unit with the recent heat. I didn't seem to be able to find one with even semi decent reviews though.

Is yours quiet enough to use while sleeping?
Definitely not, very efficient but noisy. I use it to reduce the temperature quite a lot, then switch off.

Mine is plugged onto a permanent 5" telescopic hose that I installed into the external wall, the hose recessed in and a blanking plate over the hole at other times.

Reactions: Solarstorm

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Air conditioning by portable unit is pretty horrible, I'm afraid. Noisy. Inefficient. Bulky.

I'd very much rather have a proper split unit built in - with the option of using it as a heat pump.

Plus, obviously, solar panels and battery storage. Ideally, the sunnier it is, the more electricity you have available to run it.

Solarstorm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2018
Air conditioning by portable unit is pretty horrible, I'm afraid. Noisy. Inefficient. Bulky.

I'd very much rather have a proper split unit built in - with the option of using it as a heat pump.

Plus, obviously, solar panels and battery storage. Ideally, the sunnier it is, the more electricity you have available to run it.
Seemed to be the case when I was looking, so I have given up on the idea until I get a larger place ;)

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Seemed to be the case when I was looking, so I have given up on the idea until I get a larger place ;)
Had been thinking of it here - but actually the temperatures have generally been lower than much of the rest of the UK. And the sea can provide a nice relief not too far down the road.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I've fitted a ceiling fan above the bed and it's been brilliant.
Agree that ceiling fans can be excellent. We have one room with a significantly higher ceiling than the rest - the fan works wonderfully in there. It is high enough to not intrude and the air movement seems better than in ordinary height rooms.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have 4 fans in my house and they have proved quite adequate.
The problem with air conditioning is that sooner or later you have to go out into the normal weather.
Lets face it, the UK even at its hottest is comparatively cool to Spain, Italy, Greece etc.
You get used to heat. One of my treasured photos is of me in Istanbul in September in 1960.
I am almost prostrate with the heat perhaps 30 c, yet my parents who were serving out there at the time were fully clothed, my mother even had a woolly cardigan on.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The problem with air conditioning is that sooner or later you have to go out into the normal weather.
Or just transfer from the home air con to the car's air con!

You get used to heat.
An ectothermic ability that can decline with age though. Now in my later years I find it very difficult to cope with the two temperature extremes and need to take positive steps to alleviate them.

Advertisers