AlienBikes 36V conversion Kit

squishydomain

Just Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Dear All,

I've recently completed the fitting of an Alienbikes 36V Li Ion electric bike kit and thought some of you might be interested in the result. You can check their website here: http://www.alienbikes.co.uk/

The motor comes on a 26" mountain bike wheel which is a pity as I have a 28" Cannondale Hybrid :). Having read about how to respoke a wheel on this forum I printed out the FAQ and took it to my local bike shop and they put the motor into a 28" wheel for me for around £60 including spokes and rim. The battery holder was also designed for a smaller wheel and could not be used so I improvised with a bit of left over aluminium plate and attached it to my existing bike rack.

The electronics comes with a zip up bag which is fine but I decided to improve upon it using a "shorn" (rubber) tennis ball with a 25mm hole cut into it. It was just the right size to keep all the connectors inside and dry. As a precaution I drilled a hole in the bottom so that any water that did get in would drain away.

The result is really quite pleasing. I have sent some pictures to the admin at Alien Cycles who has promised to put them up on his site. The motor is a 250W Suzhou Bafan, are brushless and have internal gearing with a freewheel. The controller is set for 600W maximum output and it does work really nicely. the 36V, 10AH Li Ion battery still shows 80% full after my 24km daily commute.

I can thoroughly recommend this kit to mechanically minded bike converters.