Alternative charger

mikescave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2007
Tutshill, Chepstow
My Ezee battery charger LI-LION HP 8204C (10S) has just packed up after less than 2 years.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to a new battery from ezee - £95!

regards

Mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not really Mike, all the prices from the Far East have leapt with today's exchange rates. Some charger types are over £120 now!

You might find the Wisper one a tiny bit cheaper, they use the same general type of HP (HighPower) charger, but you'd have to change the similar to euro plug connector type to the XLR connector on yours.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Not really Mike, all the prices from the Far East have leapt with today's exchange rates. Some charger types are over £120 now!

You might find the Wisper one a tiny bit cheaper, they use the same general type of HP (HighPower) charger, but you'd have to change the similar to euro plug connector type to the XLR connector on yours.
The Wisper charger does not use a euro connector - the euro connector (with a rotated earth blade so you can't plug the mains lead into the battery by mistake) is the one which goes from the battery to the bike.

The Wisper charger uses a TV aerial coaxial plug for the charging connection to the battery. I've compared them, and that's exactly what it is.

Rog.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
The Wisper charger does not use a euro connector - the euro connector (with a rotated earth blade so you can't plug the mains lead into the battery by mistake) is the one which goes from the battery to the bike.

The Wisper charger uses a TV aerial coaxial plug for the charging connection to the battery. I've compared them, and that's exactly what it is.

Rog.
Oh they must have changed...it's a phono on my Wisper Lishen from 2007.

Theoretically if the battery has a BMS in it (which it should) you could probably get away with any charger which outputs the same voltage as your old one. Even some lead acid chargers. It may not show you when it's fully charged though. However, do this at your own risk! The BMS and charger may be incompatible...Did I mention I take no responsibility if it goes wrong, this is not advice etc. etc.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
This is getting silly - weh hey!

I seriously think I must stick with the Ezee pattern.

Regards to all & many thanks for enlightened posts.

Mike
Very wise, Mike. In view of the fact that batteries are usually more expensive than chargers (sometimes MUCH more expensive) it's as well not to take chances unless you know what you're doing.

Chargers always have some 'overhead', that is to say, they are designed to put out more than the battery's rated voltage. The Wisper charger is rated at 42 volts, which is 6 volts more than the battery's rated voltage. Some of this additional voltage is lost in the battery management system (inside the battery case, not a part of the charger) and of course you need more volts in any case to put current into the battery (instead of taking it out).

As you quoted your (dead) charger number, I've looked it up. Its voltage rating is the same as that of the Wisper charger - the difference is that yours is only rated at about 1 amp, and the Wisper one is rated at around 2.5 amps. It looks as though the Wisper charger would therefore work fine on your battery, but you would need to change connectors, as Flecc has correctly said.

Rog.

mikescave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2007
Tutshill, Chepstow
Ezee charger

Well Guys I've bitten the bullet because quite frankly there seemed no alternative to get my new/replacement charger from Cyclepoint (£125 argh!!) but am consoled, I think, by Ken Ching who says

Hi,

If you ever have a problem with the new charger ( no time limit ), I will send you a free replacement immediately.

(which continues citing problems with the previous contract for Ezee bikes and bemoaning Uk taxes but nevertheless ends)

Best regards
W W Ching

I am putting my trust in this. The only point that remains however, is that the new charger seems to take far longer to fully charge my cycle battery. Is this a function of the normal charger, highlighting a weakness in my initial unit or what?
Mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It can be up to five hours for a fully discharged battery Mike, though normally it's usually in the 3 to 4 hour region once in use.

I'd been keeping an eye out for as charger for you and one has now cropped up, sadly too late though. It's the correct HP 42 volt type and even has the right XLR connector for your battery, and at £42.99 with £6.99 P & P:

Charger on ebay

Advertisers