An electric bike easily modified by entering a code

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Came across this bike that can be derestricted without fitting any parts,

http://www.electric-bike-factory.co.uk/acatalog/cyclotricity_stealth_500w_dual_electric_bike.html#SID=2

Any thoughts?

Steve.
Many other bikes can be set up in this way, but the advice they give is wrong Steve. The DfT have made it clear that "Off Road" switching for higher speed or power is strictly illegal.

It's immaterial that it's done through the LCD, if it's under the rider's control it's illegal, even if the high speed mode isn't used.

That's because the machine having a higher assist speed available to the rider means it has to be type approved as a moped or motorcycle.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Many other bikes can be set up in this way, but the advice they give is wrong Steve. The DfT have made it clear that "Off Road" switching for higher speed or power is strictly illegal.

It's immaterial that it's done through the LCD, if it's under the rider's control it's illegal, even if the high speed mode isn't used.

That's because the machine having a higher assist speed available to the rider means it has to be type approved as a moped or motorcycle.
Thanks for the info and do you know what other bikes are set up in this way? I'm researching my options legal or otherwise.

Steve.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the info and do you know what other bikes are set up in this way? I'm researching my options legal or otherwise.

Steve.
I can't name specific models Steve since it's not an area I'm personally interested in, but from the posted information in here it's a high proportion of the models with LCDs. How much the speed can be varied isn't consistent, some much less than others it seems. The others are usually 250 watt rated though, but that doesn't mean much since many legal e-bikes are capable of up to 600 watts.

Maybe others can come in with suggestions of the most suitable ones.

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
I can't name specific models Steve since it's not an area I'm personally interested in, but from the posted information in here it's a high proportion of the models with LCDs. How much the speed can be varied isn't consistent, some much less than others it seems. The others are usually 250 watt rated though, but that doesn't mean much since many legal e-bikes are capable of up to 600 watts.

Maybe others can come in with suggestions of the most suitable ones.
Great thank you, I've been looking at a specific one that is dual powered at 1000w

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what you want is a bafang mid drive motor and the programming cable so you can set it to what you want.

or blow up the controller.

Reactions: Fingers

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
After some research the 1000w is not very practical with a limited range as the torque is always wanting to unleash itself, so 15-17 miles before a charge is no good for me. I have been advised that a good solution for my needs would be a 500w bike with a 21Ah battery giving me a range of approx 40+ miles with a derestricted speed of around 23mph I believe. This would be just right for me, although the bike is out of stock with no known delivery time. The search continues.

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Now considering the Woosh Rio with a 17Ah battery, forgetting about derestriction with other makes etc. It just seems hassle and for what I need the bike for it is not really appropriate. Besides the Woosh has all the extras I would want in a bike with an entry level price of £1300. Hydraulic brakes, lights, mud guards, long range etc. Recently missed out on a recent Cycle 2 work scheme so will wait for an offer or sale to come along.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now considering the Woosh Rio with a 17Ah battery, forgetting about derestriction with other makes etc. It just seems hassle and for what I need the bike for it is not really appropriate. Besides the Woosh has all the extras I would want in a bike with an entry level price of £1300. Hydraulic brakes, lights, mud guards, long range etc. Recently missed out on a recent Cycle 2 work scheme so will wait for an offer or sale to come along.
Sensible choice of bike, but be careful about waiting in case prices go the other way, which is far more likely. The EU has applied anti-dumping tariffs on all e-bikes etc sourced from China, meaning at least 10% increases for most. Woosh are starting assembly here to try to avoid the effects, but best keep in touch with them on the price trends if that's to be your new bike.

SBirkett112

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2018
Sensible choice of bike, but be careful about waiting in case prices go the other way, which is far more likely. The EU has applied anti-dumping tariffs on all e-bikes etc sourced from China, meaning at least 10% increases for most. Woosh are starting assembly here to try to avoid the effects, but best keep in touch with them on the price trends if that's to be your new bike.
Thanks for the heads up.

Advertisers