Another newbie

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Hi everyone,

I had planned to get a bike mainly for losing few inches around the waist :D and getting to the local shops. Unfortunately I live on a hill top and surrounded by other hills so traveling anywhere wasn't going to be easy by bike. Then I spotted a hopper electric bike from Tesco. It was good value and so got one and that was the start of my adventure in pedelec.

So far I very please and has made hill riding more manageable, especially after applying the soldering mod to the shunt which made it much more a pleasurable ride.

Now I'm after a bit more speed and read here that my 24V battery can be swapped with a 36V for that added speed. As the battery is quite pricey may wait a bit before splashing out.

My goal is to buy a 2nd hand bike for modding into an electric bike.

Spikey

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Welcome Spikey, lots of knowledgeable people around here to help out.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
how about trying booster battery to increase voltage from 24v ? Even if its just a 12v SLA for testing purposes only.

You can then know wether the extra cash is woth it for you

there are threads on this but I'm hopeless at searching and linking them ! Please do check them out as there are risks i.e too many watts may well burn your controller and/or motor - especially if the shunt is soldered and we cannot be quite sure how many amps you are now pulling

by way of example 24v x 15a = 360w standard (assuming 15a controller)

after shunt maybe it pulls 18a (i'm guessing here) so thats 24v x 18a = 432w

if you up the volts to 36v then its 36v x 18a =648. which is getting towards double the watts the system orignally took.

I dont know this bike so i have no idea how much tolerance there is. Someone lese will I'm sure :)

you have have to choose between speed (volts) or torque (amps) to keep the overall watts within a reasonable range. For example go to 15a at 36v = 540w

spikey

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks for the welcome. You all sound friendly and knowleagable people.

Thanks Kirstins for the info. It never occurred to me that applying the shunt mod would compromise using a 36V battery. Dont suppose you could undo the shunt mod?

When you say I could use a booster battery, do you mean a car battery? Told you I am a newbie !