Another "what bike" sorry!

Geoff2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2014
I registered with this site some three years back and at that time I was advised by some on here regarding what sort of bike might be best.

Having ignored that advice I am now so fed up with breakdowns and mechanical failure of my folding bikes ( we have two) I am ready to buy again. I should say that they have been worked hard and I am no lightweight at 110kg.

I will buy non folders and something not made in China. I also like the crank drives. I have seen a few whilst out and about and they also seem a bit nippier than my 36v hub motor.

So, a few questions, is there a dealer in the West Midlands area that might have something of interest?
I have about £1500 each for 2 bikes, not a lot but it's what I have. Second hand might be OK

I promise to carefully consider all advice and your input would be most welcome.

Geoff2

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good reports from members on here about Onbike in Kidderminster.

A lot of their stuff is £2K plus, but I see there's a nice KTM on their front page for £1,700.

http://www.onbike.co.uk/

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
My kalhoff pro with 36volt Panasonic should be good for some of your budget

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
Hi Geoff2.

Could you expand a little on the nature of the mechanical breakdowns on your two folders.

Linfitter.
I don't want to name names etc., as, to be honest, the bikes have been quite good overall. It's just that some bit's have broken or worn, like crank bearing, brake components, cables, plus some electrical problems, mainly wiring.
I now want reliability, there is nothing more annoying than having a breakdown half way through a journey.
G.

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Onbike just south of Kidderminster will have plenty for you to try. You must be pretty close to them, or you can nip down to Bristol, where there's a few shops.

Another thing: The Chinese bikes have moved on a lot in the last three years. One forum member's bottom bracket went on his Bosch motor. It wasn't covered by warranty, so buying German won't necessarily solve your problem, but if you do buy one, make sure you buy it from a local dealer where you can take it back. Some simple things, like faulty displays, can't be fixed by yourself. You have to take the whole bike back. There's no reset button for when the software throws a wobbly.

Reactions: rippedupno1

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Sounds good Dave, but I really need two, or I would be in trouble with my other half!
Geoff
Well with £900 left in tne budget second hand should be easier or even a new sale bike?

Geoff2

Sep 29, 2014
Onbike just south of Kidderminster will have plenty for you to try. You must be pretty close to them, or you can nip down to Bristol, where there's a few shops.

Another thing: The Chinese bikes have moved on a lot in the last three years. One forum member's bottom bracket went on his Bosch motor. It wasn't covered by warranty, so buying German won't necessarily solve your problem, but if you do buy one, make sure you buy it from a local dealer where you can take it back. Some simple things, like faulty displays, can't be fixed by yourself. You have to take the whole bike back. There's no reset button for when the software throws a wobbly.
I will be visting Onbike soon when I get my car back from the dealers who are fixing a water ingress problem, they need it for 3 days!
OK re: local dealer, yes. that's what I want, somewhere local to get it fixed.
I am a bit biased against Chinese bikes now, I have had problems so regardless of how much better they have become I won't buy another.
As you say, German bikes can go wrong, in fact anything ever made can go wrong, it's all a matter of how wrong things go and how often.
G.