Anti theft devices

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
When you are nearly 70, the prospect of violence is worrying although I didnt know they were violent at the time. I later found out they had threatened a young couple with a hammer and threw stones at their pram.
I now keep a baseball bat just inside my garage door.
The phrase 'nipped in the bud' comes to mind.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This suggests my belief in a disc lock as a secondary nuisance—for the thief—may be valid (and/or an alarm). Thirty seconds though...wow, that's worrying.
E bikes are heavy don't we know, so i cant see an opertunist theif running far or fast with 20+ KG over his shoulder cos he cant ride it away.. so perhaps a disc lock could be useful.
I wonder how many of us actually immobilize their bikes electrically when left for a short time, after all it only needs the removal of the display... shame we don't have a key system of sorts.. or even a way of locking the motor.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
E bikes are heavy don't we know, so i cant see an opertunist theif running far or fast with 20+ KG over his shoulder cos he cant ride it away.. so perhaps a disc lock could be useful.
I wonder how many of us actually immobilize their bikes electrically when left for a short time, after all it only needs the removal of the display... shame we don't have a key system of sorts.. or even a way of locking the motor.
disc locks can work but the qr levers need removing from the wheels as no point other wise.

DSC_0030.JPG

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
disc locks can work but the qr levers need removing from the wheels as no point other wise.

View attachment 22564
If they take the wheel off they still have to carry an awkward heavy bike. If its just a random nome de plume that thought they would ride it away it gives you half a chance of catching them.
Problem I have is general laziness. I am in a shop, are 10 feet from the bike and can see it out of the window so think I am safe!
My Fly 12 Camera has a built in alarm but I never use it and know I should.. Reason being is again lazines, tardiness, call it what you will. I tried it a couple of times when I bought it, but, as usual and unlike the iphone app the android app was way behind and bugy as hell so to connect and set the allarm took longer than nipping in the shop for soom beers, and to disarm also took just as long and I looked a complete pratt when I set off my own alarm, so I never used it again. Loads of updates since then so its likely much better now so perhaps I should try it again, but it just shows that although some gadjets appear to be a good idea they are sometimes not so good in practice.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I never leave my pedelec unlocked even when I run in for a loaf of bread. Sometimes it is just locked and not attached to anything but that is very rare and always when I am in sight.

I do leave the trike unlocked when in sight with just the parking brakes on. It is even harder to pick up and run away with. Your basic bike thief wouldn't know how to ride it away and would need to be the same inseam size or larger to reach the pedals.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Don't know if I mentioned it but I had an alarm under the saddle with a remote control fob. The alarm was going of as I chased the bike down the street.
My friend has one of those horseshoe shaped locks that fit on the rear stays and shoots a bolt around the rim. They are quite popular in the continent but my tyres are to fat to use one. Abus Amparo they are called.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My friend has one of those horseshoe shaped locks that fit on the rear stays and shoots a bolt around the rim. They are quite popular in the continent but my tyres are to fat to use one. Abus Amparo they are called.
Like the one below. The second photo shows how useful they can be as a handbrake on steep hills:

Axa Lock.jpg

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I never leave my pedelec unlocked even when I run in for a loaf of bread. Sometimes it is just locked and not attached to anything but that is very rare and always when I am in sight.

I do leave the trike unlocked when in sight with just the parking brakes on. It is even harder to pick up and run away with. Your basic bike thief wouldn't know how to ride it away and would need to be the same inseam size or larger to reach the pedals.
I always take off the intuvia display and usually use the built in wheellock. When planning to leave it for longer or out if sight, i would use a cable chain lock also around some immovable object. Removing the display is now muscle memory.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Removing battery may not stop a theft but at least bike is lot harder to sell. The other bonus is you have spare battery for replacement.

When bike is on car I have alarm system. On light panel with registration plate I short aux terminal to gnd at panel not plug. I have alarm system in car where if light panel is unplugged or cable cut horn goes off. Simple system to install, aux- gnd short completes a relays coil 12v circuit connected to car battery, contacts (normally closed) of relay activate horn if relay is unpowered.
You will need a switch to disconnect horn circuit for day to day use.

Cable is run through bike frames and wheels. Great if camping or staying in motels.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
My bike is stored in an Asgard 29er bike shed on the back garden and I have just bought an Abus granite 540 plus 300mm d lock for when out and about
I just bought two of the same locks to secure my bike in the works basement bike compound
Hope they do the job

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
What's needed is a electronic device that delivers a high voltage shock to the miscreants,when it's tampered with.
Shouldn't be too hard to rig on a e-bike, imagine that said miscreant would be temporarily unable to escape ,after a shock to the gonads.

Or is that over the top?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What's needed is a electronic device that delivers a high voltage shock to the miscreants,when it's tampered with.
Shouldn't be too hard to rig on a e-bike, imagine that said miscreant would be temporarily unable to escape ,after a shock to the gonads.

Or is that over the top?
More like under the bottom!

D

Deleted member 4366

Or is that over the top?

Reactions: Wheel-E

Advertisers