Review Anti-theft. Possibly for those who have very expensive bikes or even.......

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
....... those who want best protection on a cheaper model!

It certainly costs far less than most e-bikes do new, and even secondhand ones!

This anti theft device is not cheap, but neither is a top of the range bike either, so this may provoke some possible thoughts for you as it is guaranteed to last sever minutes of cutting or drilling!
It stays in contact with your mobile phone, and can be opened and closed from its App, as well as a key.

As they are initially intended for Motor bikes, weight may be too much for some of our brethren here, but it is their choice either way.
I personally have not yet bought one, but I will mention it well before my birthday to my children and grandchildren, as I am MOST impressed!

The "Gadget Show" on the TV, demonstrated it recently (like today on Paramount), but that may not be the first time, and the prices shown were much higher than I found today on the internet.....so it may simply be a repeat of the show in question........(also no masking was shown either...!)

Possible alternative suppliers at lower prices, but abroad:-

The cheapest I could find today on UK ebay was here:-

On the internet was here:-

It certainly is a far better bet than any of the under £100 devices I have seen myself.

But the chain shown is quite expensive and separate apparently.

But at the end of the day, each must make his own choice in the matter......

Have a great weekend everybody.

regards

Andy

PS. It comes in several colours, yellow being the most shown, but a light (sickly?) green, is also available, aimed at making the thief throw up?

Here are the available colours:-

Reactions: Scruffydroid

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Couple of things to consider!
What's to stop the thief just taking the wheel off the bike and taking the rest of the bike.... I know its alarmed, but Joe Public rarely interacts with scumbags nicking stuff!

Those locks are really designed for 6mm thick ventilated motorcycle discs, not puny bicycle discs which are easy bent, and the lock circumvented.
Having had a pretty much brand new Triumph Daytona stolen, if they want it they will take it!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Couple of things to consider!
What's to stop the thief just taking the wheel off the bike and taking the rest of the bike.... I know its alarmed, but Joe Public rarely interacts with scumbags nicking stuff!

Those locks are really designed for 6mm thick ventilated motorcycle discs, not puny bicycle discs which are easy bent, and the lock circumvented.
Having had a pretty much brand new Triumph Daytona stolen, if they want it they will take it!
It was designed to detect slight movement, then an alarm is posted on your smartphone, plus a 100 db Siren at your bike. I doubt if a thief will manage to remove it from the bike, without triggering both alarms, but if you are so far away that you cannot get back to your bike in time.............maybe you should have parked somewhere else.......

The lock is designed for almost any disk thickness, (and need not actually be on the disk, due to the clever way it is designed!), and I myself would put a chain on the front wheel to the frame AND a solid post somewhere (always!), and place this alarm on the rear wheel disk, just to make it a bit harder for the thief.....as I do believe that ripping out the rear wheel will be more difficult, and will seriously reduce the value of the bike.....maybe drawing the attention of other bikes, with less security!

But as I said twice I believe, its a personal decision, all I am doing is drawing your attention to the possibility!
OK?

The trick is to make it more difficult for a thief, and to dramatically increase the effort he needs to use, as well as increase the time he needs!

Happy Mother's Day.

Andy

• Agree

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Reactions: JanksDnB

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Anti Theft Devices seem to be a waste of time in Newport . Two expensive e bikes have been taken off their Riders at knifepoint in the last week . A lime green Voodoo Be bop and a Haibike from a 16 year old on a Canal Towpath . In addition a Police Raid on a house on Chepstow Road there found 59 stolen bikes .

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: sjpt and MontyPAS

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Anti Theft Devices seem to be a waste of time in Newport . Two expensive e bikes have been taken off their Riders at knifepoint in the last week . A lime green Voodoo Be bop and a Haibike from a 16 year old on a Canal Towpath . In addition a Police Raid on a house on Chepstow Road there found 59 stolen bikes .
Maybe the knifepoint part gained the police interest; otherwise they would never have bothered to find the 59 stolen bikes?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
No the 59 stolen bike location came from a tip-off from Cardiff Police to their Newport Counterparts .

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Mothing Sunday in USA, at least, tomorrow.
14th March in the UK. Put "???" asking relativity to anti theft post?? ?

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Mothing Sunday in USA, at least, tomorrow.
And in Germany - Andy-Mat's home.

Re: motorbike locks & weight, you could try a Litelok:
And pick the weight you're prepared to suffer.

From the blurb:
Litelok Gold is the lightest, flexible Sold Secure Gold bike lock, and was awarded Best Bike Lock by Cycling Plus (foldable category). And Litelok Silver is the world’s lightest Sold Secure Silver bike lock.

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
And in Germany - Andy-Mat's home.

Re: motorbike locks & weight, you could try a Litelok:
And pick the weight you're prepared to suffer.

From the blurb:
Litelok Gold is the lightest, flexible Sold Secure Gold bike lock, and was awarded Best Bike Lock by Cycling Plus (foldable category). And Litelok Silver is the world’s lightest Sold Secure Silver bike lock.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Most thieving scumbags carry and use brushless cordless grinders which have immense cutting capabilities!
Most locks that a cyclist is willing to carry around are easily circumvented by a scumbag with an 18v grinder.
TBH they work in gangs and are rarely approached by Joe public in the process of stealing your pride and joy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's probably gone more quickly with a hacksaw...

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You couldn't ride the bike away, but the grinder would probably have got through the bike stand in no time.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh