Anyone for a conspiricy theory.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The speech mentions the hydrogen being added to petrol or diesel, so only a partial fuel. The electrolysis to produce the hydrogen from water is with electricity generated by the car in the first instance, so it's just an energy conversion system. Since all energy conversion involves losses, and these are severe in this multi-stage conversion process, this scheme is a non-starter in my view.

I see a virtual admission in the mention of having hydrogen tanks on board in future, pre-filled from elsewhere, and we already know that producing the hydrogen in quantity is the real problem, not it's use.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This cannot be 100% water fuelled, it has to have a primary input to start the electrolytic water conversion. Water can't just be fed into the engine.

If this system was viable we'd have it, the oil companies don't and can't suppress innovation. Conversion of water into hydrogen and oxygen is well understood, it takes a huge amount of electrical energy, leaving little if any surplus from the primary fuel for useful purposes.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Last edited:

mtb1956

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Horndean, hants
The speech mentions the hydrogen being added to petrol or diesel, so only a partial fuel. The electrolysis to produce the hydrogen from water is with electricity generated by the car in the first instance, so it's just an energy conversion system. Since all energy conversion involves losses, and these are severe in this multi-stage conversion process, this scheme is a non-starter in my view.

I see a virtual admission in the mention of having hydrogen tanks on board in future, pre-filled from elsewhere, and we already know that producing the hydrogen in quantity is the real problem, not it's use.
+1 on this. First get your Hydrogen - not easy or cheap to do at home in sufficient quantities. If the motor industry would invest in a centralised hydrogen production and distribution network instead of battery vehicles then existing cars/motorbikes could use this as fuel until fuel cell vehicles became commonplace.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
+1 on this. First get your Hydrogen - not easy or cheap to do at home in sufficient quantities. If the motor industry would invest in a centralised hydrogen production and distribution network instead of battery vehicles then existing cars/motorbikes could use this as fuel until fuel cell vehicles became commonplace.
Its is very easy and cheap to make a hydrogen cell(check link) where it gets difficult is utilising the cell to either add to exsisting engines to increase MPG or create a 100% water powered engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71DFQ6TMOhY&feature=related

cheapest easiest fastest way to make a hho fuel cell (2 of 2) - YouTube

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, hydrogen fuel cells are not difficult to produce, the real problem is their life in vehicle use at present. In that respect they are like lithium batteries in that the replacement costs can be high over time.

We have a very small number of hydrogen fuel cell buses in London, but they are considered to be very experimental at present. Recent sounds from TfL don't give confidence that it's a prospect, they seem more inclined to diesel-electric hybrid now.

mtb1956

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Horndean, hants
I have just checked the above link, sadly cannot remove.
Due to further research the claims made by the above link are questionable
I enclose the link from the car talk forum site I am sorry it was a genuine mistake.

Hydrogen on Demand Technology/Global Energy Devices - Car Talk
I'm sorry, but IMHO all of these in-car hydrogen production system will have literally no effect. The volume of hydrogen gas produced is pitiful. I believe, if one is to run on hydrogen alone (which any suitably adjusted car engine can do), the ideal fuel/air ratio is something like 2.4 : 1 by volume i.e. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) for every revolution of a one litre swept volume engine it will consume approximately 1 litre of air and 1/2.4 litres of hydrogen. Thats for a single revolution! At 2000 revs, it's 2000 times as much! These in-car units are merely producing a slow bubbing of inflammable gas, the worth of which will be nullified by ambient air pressure and temperature changes. Even if used to "boost" a normally fuelled engine there can never be any gain. The energy to produce the hydrogen has to come out of the battery and that gets charged by the engine. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

The only way to directly use Hydrogen gas in a normal car at the moment is to produce it at home and pressurise it and store it in a cylinder in the car. This is expensive and dangerous technology!

In the future there will be electric vehicles which use a Fuel Cell to utilise hydrogen gas to produce electricity directly. As we have in the International Space Station now. Check out this video to see what James May had to say......

Rgds,

/\/\

Last edited:

Advertisers