Anyone tried a Montague folding bike?

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I'm intrigued by these. I live in a small house and my bike usually lives in the hallway much to the annoyance of my wife. If we know we're having people round, I do sometimes move it downstairs into the basement but that's a bit of struggle with a full sized bike. I used a Brompton for a year which was great for its size and portability but I never felt it was quite appropriate for my regular commute especially in winter on rough and mucky roads. I think one of these Montague bikes might be just what I need but I've never known anyone who's had one. I would probably still leave it in the hallway for the week but would be more inclined to move it out of the way at weekends.

Anyone tried one?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never tried one, but all reports are that they ride just like a normal bike. They are obviously very tough, the Paratrooper version in particular is often equipped with powerful Heinzmann rear wheel motors for use on the rough stuff.

Big John

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2010
Lee on the Solent Hampshire
I'm intrigued by these. I live in a small house and my bike usually lives in the hallway much to the annoyance of my wife. If we know we're having people round, I do sometimes move it downstairs into the basement but that's a bit of struggle with a full sized bike. I used a Brompton for a year which was great for its size and portability but I never felt it was quite appropriate for my regular commute especially in winter on rough and mucky roads. I think one of these Montague bikes might be just what I need but I've never known anyone who's had one. I would probably still leave it in the hallway for the week but would be more inclined to move it out of the way at weekends.

Anyone tried one?
Hi Pedalo

I recently had a Montague X50 (entry level) folder with a view to putting a kit on it. I tried it first without a kit but found it very "agricultural" mainly due to the low level gears and brakes. The free wheel was very noisy.

I got it because my plan was to drive it to a nice trail and use it off road. However to fold right up to go in the boot the front wheel is removed. This means that the motor is best in the rear and I was planning to do that initially having tried a Heinzmann equipped Montague Paratrooper at Team Hybrid.
To get my base model how I wanted it, like my Specialized Globe commuter with Deore gears, would have cost too much so I moved it on.

I would still get a Paratrooper if one came along as it was my fault for getting the X50 when I really wanted the paratrooper. Also consider the Dahon Matrix which folds a bit neater and thinner but is, I presume, slightly less robust - well they don't drop them by parachute do they? and perhaps the Dahon Cadenza with the same folding mechanism but no front suspension.

By the way Mark Higgon from Team Hybrid is working on a Montague rear suspension aftermarket modification. I understand that it is still pre production, unlike the new Falco bike motor which would seem to be available.
ELECTRIC BIKE KITS | Falco e-motors and Heinzmann Electric Bikes From Team Hybrid Ebikes.
Look under projects.

Big John

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for your repllies Flecc & John,
I think I might have to go and hunt one down to try it. I don't necessarily need to be able to fit a motor to it.

Alternatively I've just come across this which might help a little with my wife's complaint that she keeps getting snagged on my bike on the way through the hallway. I don't think it's available yet but looks interesting.
http://flipphandle.com/

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That Fliphandle would be ideal, especially if coupled with a folding pedal on the offending side. Together costing a lot less that a new bike too!

Here's another similar solution already available, Joe Wentworth folding handlebars and it's a security device too.

and a video of them in operation, would certainly meet the wife's requirements.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
The Joe Wentworth handlebars look great. I'm struggling to find anywhere to buy either those or the flipphandle though. I'm surprised that there's not much available in this area. It must be quite a common problem.

I'll start another thread on handlebars as I seem to have drifted off the original topic.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they are likely to b a sell direct item, there's contact details on the site.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I keep my bike in the hallway too and I always turn the handlebars sideways to save space, no tool or anything special needed, they just swivel around.........or perhaps you're not supposed to ? :eek:
The folding pedals could be a good idea as well though.

Lynda :)

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I keep my bike in the hallway too and I always turn the handlebars sideways to save space, no tool or anything special needed, they just swivel around.........or perhaps you're not supposed to ? :eek:
The folding pedals could be a good idea as well though.

Hi Lynda,

If you turn your handlebars sideways, doesn't your wheel then get in the way?

I did discuss the possibility of drilling a couple of large holes in the hallway wall through to the living room, that the handlebars and a pedal could slot into but my wife didn't seem to think it was such a great idea ;)

I spotted this picture thinking perhaps I could just sqeeze in one or two more bikes!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Haha...great pic pedalo....but Im pleased thats not MY hall !!

And,no, I twist the handlebars around whilst keeping the wheel straight.......I'm not THAT blonde :D :D

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
When you say you don't need a special tool I presume you still need an Allen key to loosen them enough to turn them - or are you saying that they are always loose enough to twist? If that's the case it doesn't sound safe to ride?

Haha...great pic pedalo....but Im pleased thats not MY hall !!

And,no, I twist the handlebars around whilst keeping the wheel straight.......I'm not THAT blonde :D :D

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Always loose enough to turn .......only just, with the wheel held tight between my legs....but not loose enough to move whilst cycling.
At least thats been my experience so far with three different bikes.....or maybe Ive just been lucky :)

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Always loose enough to turn .......only just, with the wheel held tight between my legs....but not loose enough to move whilst cycling.
At least thats been my experience so far with three different bikes.....or maybe Ive just been lucky
Well, all I can say to to that is "Ooer, missis!"

Advertisers