Anyone tried Speedbox B-tuning dongle?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Bluetooth enabled dongle

I don't want to get into a discussion about the legalities of derestriction, I am more interested in the other available features of this dongle such as being able to disable the motor to help prevent theft, plus the data that you can get out of it.

I've bought one and am hoping to fit it this weekend. I'd be interested in other's experiences of it.

Example stats available:
Screenshot_20190607-123955_SpeedBox App.jpg

• Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ and Artstu

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Haven't tried it, but very interesting idea about being able to disable the motor.
If Bosch could implement that via the e-connect app, would be a great feature, but, I'd be a bit concerned doing it via third party software, what if something went wrong and you couldn't restart it?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
I'd be a bit concerned doing it via third party software, what if something went wrong and you couldn't restart it?
Oh don't say that now, lol. Hopefully it's just a signal that gets blocked inside the dongle rather than one that gets sent to the motor, so if it all went pear shaped you could just remove the dongle....

I'm really surprised that I can't find any reviews at all of this kit.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
You're probably the only one that's ever bought it ,seriously tho, I guess most people buy the cheaper version.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Yeah I know the retail price is extortionate but I've seen a couple sold on ebay for as low as £50, and there's listings for new ones on there for £130. This was an eBay one for less than a ton.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

wissock

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Yeah I know the retail price is extortionate but I've seen a couple sold on ebay for as low as £50, and there's listings for new ones on there for £130. This was an eBay one for less than a ton.
I’m looking at getting the Bluetooth version for Bosch CX. I wonder how you got on with yours? Very hard to find any user reviews!

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
I’m looking at getting the Bluetooth version for Bosch CX. I wonder how you got on with yours? Very hard to find any user reviews!
I really like it, in fact I bought another one last week for my other CX (£130 brand new posted off eBay). It's worked flawlessly. It's deactivated by default when you turn the bike on, and I activate it by pressing the walk button, so it's not obvious that it is even fitted.

I like the Bluetooth features, and it was interesting seeing the different types of figures produced between me and OH (cadence, torque etc). I don't use the Bluetooth very often currently as I don't have a phone mount on my handle bars yet.

I prefer it to the badassbox as it is more discreet and the speed display works better. I also find it more reliable and easier to use and more featured than the ASA espeed that I had before.

wissock

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2019
I really like it, in fact I bought another one last week for my other CX (£130 brand new posted off eBay). It's worked flawlessly. It's deactivated by default when you turn the bike on, and I activate it by pressing the walk button,
I prefer it to the badassbox as it is more discreet and the speed display works better. I also find it more reliable and easier to use and more featured than the ASA espeed that I had before.
[/QUOTE

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
31921Stats from one of the rides (the one where my OH was straining the motor with his super low cadence, grrrr!). The stats on the fly are great too, especially knowing the exact remaining percentage on the battery!

Advertisers