Anyone tried Speedbox B-tuning dongle?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Bluetooth enabled dongle

I don't want to get into a discussion about the legalities of derestriction, I am more interested in the other available features of this dongle such as being able to disable the motor to help prevent theft, plus the data that you can get out of it.

I've bought one and am hoping to fit it this weekend. I'd be interested in other's experiences of it.

Example stats available:
Screenshot_20190607-123955_SpeedBox App.jpg

• Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: EddiePJ and Artstu

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Haven't tried it, but very interesting idea about being able to disable the motor.
If Bosch could implement that via the e-connect app, would be a great feature, but, I'd be a bit concerned doing it via third party software, what if something went wrong and you couldn't restart it?

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
I'd be a bit concerned doing it via third party software, what if something went wrong and you couldn't restart it?
Oh don't say that now, lol. Hopefully it's just a signal that gets blocked inside the dongle rather than one that gets sent to the motor, so if it all went pear shaped you could just remove the dongle....

I'm really surprised that I can't find any reviews at all of this kit.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
You're probably the only one that's ever bought it ,seriously tho, I guess most people buy the cheaper version.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Yeah I know the retail price is extortionate but I've seen a couple sold on ebay for as low as £50, and there's listings for new ones on there for £130. This was an eBay one for less than a ton.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

wissock

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2019
Yeah I know the retail price is extortionate but I've seen a couple sold on ebay for as low as £50, and there's listings for new ones on there for £130. This was an eBay one for less than a ton.
I’m looking at getting the Bluetooth version for Bosch CX. I wonder how you got on with yours? Very hard to find any user reviews!

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
I’m looking at getting the Bluetooth version for Bosch CX. I wonder how you got on with yours? Very hard to find any user reviews!
I really like it, in fact I bought another one last week for my other CX (£130 brand new posted off eBay). It's worked flawlessly. It's deactivated by default when you turn the bike on, and I activate it by pressing the walk button, so it's not obvious that it is even fitted.

I like the Bluetooth features, and it was interesting seeing the different types of figures produced between me and OH (cadence, torque etc). I don't use the Bluetooth very often currently as I don't have a phone mount on my handle bars yet.

I prefer it to the badassbox as it is more discreet and the speed display works better. I also find it more reliable and easier to use and more featured than the ASA espeed that I had before.

wissock

Sep 1, 2019
I really like it, in fact I bought another one last week for my other CX (£130 brand new posted off eBay). It's worked flawlessly. It's deactivated by default when you turn the bike on, and I activate it by pressing the walk button,
I prefer it to the badassbox as it is more discreet and the speed display works better. I also find it more reliable and easier to use and more featured than the ASA espeed that I had before.
[/QUOTE

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
31921Stats from one of the rides (the one where my OH was straining the motor with his super low cadence, grrrr!). The stats on the fly are great too, especially knowing the exact remaining percentage on the battery!

Rolling Sly Stone

May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
Glad I found this thread. I’ve been looking at different options for de-restricting my ebike but want something where I can easily switch between being de-restricted and legal. This appears to tick all the boxes and I particularly like the fact that when you first turn the power on, the de-restriction is deactivated (presumably meaning the bike is in a legal state). This is the only place I have found mention of that feature!

Just on that point - can anyone confirm whether the bike IS in fact legal when any modification/tuning is disabled (even though hardware is still fitted)?

I am a little confused as to how you managed to get these brand new off eBay only a few months ago for £130! I’m looking now and the cheapest I can find it is £200, on eBay.

wissock

Sep 1, 2019
Glad I found this thread. I’ve been looking at different options for de-restricting my ebike but want something where I can easily switch between being de-restricted and legal. This appears to tick all the boxes and I particularly like the fact that when you first turn the power on, the de-restriction is deactivated (presumably meaning the bike is in a legal state). This is the only place I have found mention of that feature!

Just on that point - can anyone confirm whether the bike IS in fact legal when any modification/tuning is disabled (even though hardware is still fitted)?

I am a little confused as to how you managed to get these brand new off eBay only a few months ago for £130! I’m looking now and the cheapest I can find it is £200, on eBay.
SpeedBox 2 without the Bluetooth element - the ‘B’ in the description - sells for around £130. Seems the price with Bluetooth has come down a bit from £230ish when I was looking last year. I think any bike fitted is technically illegal regardless of the chip being switched off.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Yes I think the £130 ones I saw must've been listing errors. I have them on 2 bikes now and have had no problems whatsoever. I tend not to turn it on unless I'm out with my OH and trying to keep up with him. Still not legal tho ☹

Reactions: Rolling Sly Stone

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
@wissock said the same. Without having checked the legislation, I will take your word for it. Shame, as that would have been ideal to be able to ‘switch’ between legal and de-restricted.
any bike or kit that allows you to change the speed limit is not road legal.

not that it matters as i have had a dongle on my bike since 2014 and plod is not interested at all. ;)

it just hurts alot more when you crash :p

Rolling Sly Stone

May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
any bike or kit that allows you to change the speed limit is not road legal.

not that it matters as i have had a dongle on my bike since 2014 and plod is not interested at all. ;)

it just hurts alot more when you crash :p
In which case, there’s no point me spending £200 for an all singing all dancing tuning device (such as a Speedbox-B) which can be switched ‘on the fly’. I will just stick to my magnet on the back of my pedal and the sensor relocated.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and you will get a 503 speed sensor error i did try it on my bosch bike when i first got it and did not work.

tho this did work on the gen 1 bosch bikes but buy gen 2 the software had changed to stop it working on most bikes.

as you can see they are a rip off but no other option but i dont like dongles that wire in to the motor because a firmware update could stop them working.

Rolling Sly Stone

May 30, 2017
Hertfordshire
and you will get a 503 speed sensor error i did try it on my bosch bike when i first got it and did not work.

tho this did work on the gen 1 bosch bikes but buy gen 2 the software had changed to stop it working on most bikes.

as you can see they are a rip off but no other option but i dont like dongles that wire in to the motor because a firmware update could stop them working.
The ‘magnet on the back of pedal’ method has worked absolutely fine for me on my Bosch Active Line Plus. No errors whatsoever! My bike is a Carrera Crossfuse with the Purion controller.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
some do get it to work but most dont and just get errors i did also try with my purion display when i fitted that and had the same 503 error.

id not have the firmware updated if i was you as could cost you 150 quid if you have to get a dongle ;)

never had my bikes software updated and working fine and the motor cuts of at 36.5mph

Advertisers