Are all swept forks swept the same???

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I would dearly like to upgrade my front brake to hydraulic disk. but my forks do not have the suitable mount, and are swept to position the front wheel away from the obstruction of the main frame.

Google has presented me with a cheap fork replacement, but the sweep looks less pronounced than on my current forks. and the angle or degree of the sweep is not a metric listed in the description?

Or is simply not a problem??

Thanks in advance..

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I would dearly like to upgrade my front brake to hydraulic disk. but my forks do not have the suitable mount, and are swept to position the front wheel away from the obstruction of the main frame.

Google has presented me with a cheap fork replacement, but the sweep looks less pronounced than on my current forks. and the angle or degree of the sweep is not a metric listed in the description?

Or is simply not a problem??

Thanks in advance..
You need to make scale drawings. Suspension fork legs that are straight are set forward of the steerer tube by the fork crown. Swept forward forks normally start from the crown in line with the centre of the steerer tube. The only important thing is how far the contact point is in front of where a straight line through the steerer tube would meet the ground. You get the contact position by drawing a straight vertical line from the centre of the axle to the ground.

• Informative
Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks, so no 'standard' fork sweeps ho hum ;( While the measurements suggested should be manageable, without any details on the sellers page to compare against it seems like 'tactical distance buying' might be the best option, especially if all other options are similarly lacking in specs ( limited to lower budget options)

tonyw

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2019
The 'sweep' is usually specified as the 'offset', which is the distance of the axle from the centreline of the steerer. I think traditional fork offset is fairly standard at 45-50mm? If you talk to SJS cycles I'm sure they will know what you need.

Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The 'sweep' is usually specified as the 'offset', which is the distance of the axle from the centreline of the steerer. I think traditional fork offset is fairly standard at 45-50mm? If you talk to SJS cycles I'm sure they will know what you need.
'Fork Offset', Cheers.. thats something i can follow up in both ads and the specs of my bike..

Im sure my <£300 bike when new isnt fitted with any 'special' forks. it might be a bit of a juggling act managing the tilt of the handlebars a long straight stick a plumbline and a ruler all at once but it sounds like a plan for tomorrow now i have a range to match against, even with my sometimes loose front mudguard i can accommodate a 5mm difference in 'sweep' offset