Are Ebikes more or less vulnerable to theft than standard bikes?

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Really good question.

I have a sensitive alarm on mine that doubles as a rear light, with a remote control. Not expensive and runs around 2 weeks as an alarm before needing a recharge via a USB cable....Less than 15 UK Pounds!

Andy
What a good idea (unless it is prone to false alarms on shared bike lock situations?) any chance of a link if one of us feels like trying this out also? Would it deter theft of accessories (I just lost a mini-pump)? [EDIT] my bad, see there are links after the post now! [/EDIT]

For myself on the subject of theft, I have two Ebikes - my KTM gets the secure lock treatment and I remove the control display too. But by B-twin conversion had the right frame mounting for what I call a "dutch" rear wheel integral circle clip lock. Although this only imobilizes the rear wheel that's not bad security with a 28KG E-bike! Being a conversion it looks, and is, less valuable so I think this is enough security (I did buy an extension to secure to post, but seldom use). Fingers crossed never been interfered with an makes a VERY handy bike for quick trips to shops as a result.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
More details please! Would you recommend the one you have?
You can find it on ebay, but as I don't know where you live, I am posting the German link (I live in Germany!):-
https://www.ebay.de/itm/4-In-1-Fahrradalarmanlage-Alarmschloss-Rucklicht-Fahrradklingel-Fahrrad-Licht/292909696572?hash=item4432c7463c:g:zfwAAOSwJ~xcNLi~:rk:76:pf:0
It fits under the saddle!
On short false alarms it sounds for one second, reminding you before you start riding! On longer vibrations it really gets loud. Make sure that the wind cannot shake the bike in the middle of the night!!
regards
AndyFahrrad Alarm.jpg

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Many thanks Andy! that explains why I had to translate the page you linked! And I understand about the wind issue, luckily I have a garage for overnight... But whenever I lock outside with other bikes touching... then it could be an issue... I need to think more about this (I am thinking a dedicated thief will have a hammer and smash the noisy light inside five seconds!).

Still I wonder if this will stop casual thieving of pumps and the like.... (given I always have a primary deterrent like small cable which will cause alarm to sound before they can smash it)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Many thanks Andy! that explains why I had to translate the page you linked! And I understand about the wind issue, luckily I have a garage for overnight... But whenever I lock outside with other bikes touching... then it could be an issue... I need to think more about this (I am thinking a dedicated thief will have a hammer and smash the noisy light inside five seconds!).

Still I wonder if this will stop casual thieving of pumps and the like.... (given I always have a primary deterrent like small cable which will cause alarm to sound before they can smash it)
Firstly, I see as positive what you mention, if a thief (and most are pretty dumb anyway!) moves the bike and sounds the alarm, most will move away and not touch it.
Secondly, unless he knows the unit, he will not look under the saddle, at least not at first. Enough time for you to be alerted!
Thirdly, under the saddle means he cannot easily directly hit it!! It will sound and sound!!! As the bike has a cover, he will not even see the alarm till it has already sounded!!
Fourthly, they are cheap enough that in conjunction with a quality bike lock, I think most thieves will look for easier "prey!"
Fifthly, anything that sounds is still better than nothing at all......
Thats my take......
I keep my bike parked, with a cover, between my house and the neigbours. This bike for a year and the previous one for 6 years. Each time the siren has sounded, I hear someone running off, twice in the last 12 months!!
I hope that my post here helps you further....
regards
Andy

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
You can find it on ebay, but as I don't know where you live, I am posting the German link (I live in Germany!):-
https://www.ebay.de/itm/4-In-1-Fahrradalarmanlage-Alarmschloss-Rucklicht-Fahrradklingel-Fahrrad-Licht/292909696572?hash=item4432c7463c:g:zfwAAOSwJ~xcNLi~:rk:76:pf:0
It fits under the saddle!
On short false alarms it sounds for one second, reminding you before you start riding! On longer vibrations it really gets loud. Make sure that the wind cannot shake the bike in the middle of the night!!
regards
AndyView attachment 28815
I own a few of these - they're superb.

Even just for use as a back light they're worth the cash. Just over 12 dollars from AliExpress

You'll need to swap out the seat pin quick release for a torx type security screw

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I own a few of these - they're superb.

Even just for use as a back light they're worth the cash. Just over 12 dollars from AliExpress

You'll need to swap out the seat pin quick release for a torx type security screw
I agree completely, and the Torx screw is a great tip too, many thanks for that!!
regards
Andy