Are Zombie Lanes coming to a city near you

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Hmm I can imagine in China that people might actually obey such systems - can't see it here somehow! No doubt it's becoming a problem though...

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I blame the phones, too primitive. Like my car they should have sonar sensors around the top edge, one forward and one each side. Then they could alert the owner on the screen of approaching vehicles etc.

Maybe even administer an electric shock through the metal casing.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I blame the phones, too primitive. Like my car they should have sonar sensors around the top edge, one forward and one each side. Then they could alert the owner on the screen of approaching vehicles etc.

Maybe even administer an electric shock through the metal casing.
Have this conversation with a millennial and they don't understand the problem. After all, it's always been this way.... hasn't it?
Roll on the connected brain.. then they will be at least looking where they are going...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Have this conversation with a millennial and they don't understand the problem. After all, it's always been this way.... hasn't it?
Roll on the connected brain.. then they will be at least looking where they are going...
Are they offering brains with smartphones now? Maybe I need a phone? :rolleyes:

I have mounted a toot-toot horn on the trike for phone zombies, it is great fun! You wouldn't believe how high someone jumps in the air on reflex.

• :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Yeah! Those air horns are tremendous fun, for the absent minded, wondering along shared paths,if I don't get a response from other warnings, then they get a 'nuclear' blast from the air horn, there are a lot of folks who suddenly borne Kittens round my way.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I was in the camp that thought air horns were a fools game, deserving of a smack now and then when they got caught out. But lately damit I can't even get peoples attention with my bell. I try to be considerate on shared paths, but this one girl on her phone lately, blasting music, didn't hear my bell right behind her.

SoI just went by. I shocked her. You know what she said? I won't repeat it. And I won't repeat what I said to her either lol

I'm gonna look for an air horn.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It doesn't matter how much paint they put on the ground, people just ignore it. i.e. 'bike lanes'? I find lane discipline to be declining overall, be that pedestrians or drivers.
I too don't get the dipsticks who wander around with earphones on. I even saw a woman driving with them in yesterday. Probably is unaware that that's definitely illegal.
I have a loud, pleasant ding dong bell. Totally useless. I find a sudden,' Oy oy' does the trick.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have a loud, pleasant ding dong bell. Totally useless. I find a sudden,' Oy oy' does the trick.
You could also substitute "Oy Oy" with shouting out one of the things known to get instant attention currently:

Like "Novichok" or "Jeremy Corbyn" or "Anti-Semitic". :D

• :D
Reactions: Benjahmin

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
It's not even that in the north east, people spot you and still don't move. I pass these inconsiderate cockwombles as close as possible as fast as possible. And then there's the headphone zombies, no amount of noise you can make will alert these to your presence. So basically in the north east you cut people off or you wait

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It's not even that in the north east, people spot you and still don't move. I pass these inconsiderate cockwombles as close as possible as fast as possible. And then there's the headphone zombies, no amount of noise you can make will alert these to your presence. So basically in the north east you cut people off or you wait

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Don't think there is enough room for even a few metres of zombie lane in my nearest city:

But I agree with the issue. Most people happily try to respond to my bell but the earphones bit is a real problem. It is so easy to think they will notice but by the time you are sure they are not reacting, it is so late that safe interaction has become more difficult. And even people talking on their mobiles without earphones are so often on another planet.

Just adding - for anyone who does not realise, and why would you? - that is the main High Street in St Davids, Pembrokeshire, which is the city with the smallest population in the UK.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Advertisers