Assistance required - Used powabyke

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, it looks like that box has the controller in it, but not much chance of finding out the amps from it.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Search for 12/36 volt batteries on ebay or Amazon etc.
replace the lead acid ones with less weight and better performance.

D

Deleted member 4366

From info found online I believe it is 200w

7 speed folding bike

It suggests that it has a 200w front hub motor.

Assuming that the controller is working ok, and that it is a battery issue, what options does it give me?
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything. By 7A battery, they mean 7AH. 200w is equally meaningless because the Powabyke Euro is also rated at 200w. It's a really good climber, and I believe it has a 20 amp controller. Your bike has the same motor. 20amps at 36v = about 750W - or at least 400w output power.

I think that if you want a lithium battery, that 12aH one above will be fine. You don't save much by getting a smaller one anyway, and I'm sure that an 8 or 9aH won't give enough current for your motor.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
D8veh's probably right (usually is!) in recommending a beefy battery.

My missus has a powabyke x6, with a 250w brushed motor & it sucks some serious power from the battery going uphill: I replaced her battery with a 10ah flatpack from cyclezee (regarded as tough batteries) & even that sags significantly on a hill.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
My initial request for help was in the hope that I may be able to get the powabyke working before my nephews birthday. A sort of thank you for all that he has helped me with in recent years. But I have been unwell and unable to do all the required testing.

My nephew suggested cheekily that maybe I may want to give him my bike instead. And that may actually be an option, which would leave me time to upgrade the powabyke in any manner necessary, or give it up as a bad job.

Anyway, thanks again and when I eventually do the testing I will post results.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
My personal opinion is to replace the SLA batteries with like, it will be the cheapest option about £75 this will get the bike up and running and sometime in the future one can see if it would be worth replacing with a lithium battery upgrade

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We replace led acid batteries and do not charge fitting (if done in store). We have done this for a number of people with bikes like PowaByke.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Ok peeps,
Stage 2...........

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/attachments/announcements-feedback-support/5151d1361814156-assistance-required-used-powabyke-batteries-case.jpg

I havent done any testing with lightbulbs or anything. All I have done so far is to test with a multimeter. Give me a break. I had to work out what all the symbols meant first.

Readings are based on the batteries in case image. Left to right, top to bottom

Out of those I believe that the only acceptable one is the 12.50 reading. Am I correct?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I'm sure d8veh will be around soon the 5.17 and 10.42 look duff but I would leave it to the expert

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I think I will try charging those two with the ctek type charger to see if they can be recovered.

Crossed fingers and all that

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I think I will try charging those two with the ctek type charger to see if they can be recovered.

Crossed fingers and all that
You will need to repeat the process again, and take it out for a ride to put some loading on the batteries before you recheck

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
You will need to repeat the process again, and take it out for a ride to put some loading on the batteries before you recheck
Sounds fair. Will do, My nephew is coming round in the next few days. Gives me a chance to charge them all with the CTEK to hopefully rectify the situation. But if not, at least to narrow the area of fault.

If they apparently charge okay, then a local ride would give an opportunity to test charge holding power.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Oh, as an extra. I opened the controller box. There is a label in there that I think reads Oct 2000. So if thats right we are talking of an OLD model bike.

Doesnt mean that the batteries are that age, but...........

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
D8veh's probably right (usually is!) in recommending a beefy battery.

My missus has a powabyke x6, with a 250w brushed motor & it sucks some serious power from the battery going uphill: I replaced her battery with a 10ah flatpack from cyclezee (regarded as tough batteries) & even that sags significantly on a hill.
What is it that could make it more powerful? Have you upgraded it to its limits or is there something else you could have done that would have made it better?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I know on my old bike, the batteries had a sticker with the date on

D

Deleted member 4366

Those voltages don't look promising. Was that after charging or after riding?
It doesn't normally make sense to replace the worst ones anyway. It would be best to replace the whole lot.

There's quite a few mail order suppliers offering exact replacements at various prices, so now you have to decide whether you want lead or lithium. A lithium one will be about £200.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
What is it that could make it more powerful? Have you upgraded it to its limits or is there something else you could have done that would have made it better?
Maybe this article will give you some insight into the differences between Lithium v SLA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: SLA vs. Lithium battery?
by Chris Clean Republic » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 am

Glad to hear that your seriously considering getting our kit.

I would say that this decision is really up to you and your needs, but here are a few things to consider.

Weight: The SLA battery weighs 11lbs versus the 6lb Lithium battery. The SLA battery isn't massive, but there is a little bit of weight that you will have to adjust for when you pedal your bike without the motor engaged. It's not as big of a difference as one might imagine. 11lbs is about the same as a bag of groceries. You would barely notice the 6lbs of the Lithium battery.

Range: The biggest advantage of the Lithium is it's 20 mile range over the 10 miles you get with the SLA. The more hills and rough terrain you add to your commute, the more a longer ranger battery becomes more useful.

Last edited:

Advertisers