attaching a crank

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Grrrr!

Cranks and crank-bolts! Doing my head in; these e-bikes are a law unto themselves. Welcome to e-biking where everything you've ever known about cycling is now back to front and upside down!!!

I want to fit longer cranks, but confused by what appears to be a separate crank arm and chain-wheel on the drive side, I decide to use my crank extractor like I have done on all my bikes to date to remove the crank so as to see if it does indeed separate from the chain-wheel. (It shouldn't - never seen anything like it till I bought an e-bike). Anyway I undo the bolt - or rather what I think is the bolt, and to my amazement only a nut unscrews. Revealing a threaded bolt protruding instead of a threaded hollow in the b/b axle ready to accept a bolt - weird! Looking at the nut I think: That's not going to be enough to bite deeply when retightening the crank back on. Anyway, on this e-bike the threads don't quite match my Crank Extractor and I manage to strip some of the threads from the soft alloy crank recess.

This is similar to what unscrewed from the bottom bracket axle from inside the crank-

When all I've ever been used to seeing is something like this, a bolt with a substantial amount of thread on it. (The bottom one in the red light) -

What the hell is a threaded bolt doing sticking out from the b/b axle where a threaded hollow should be? :confused:
Ruddy e-bikes. e-bikes for eijit bikes more like!!! :mad:

Last edited: