Back on the road

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
8 weeks ago I had a Cardiac arterial bypass graft (CAGB, pronounced cabbage) as I had blocked arteries, probably the result of smoking (just give it up, please, everyone). Operation went fine and after 5 days was discharged from hospital to convalescent unit. Hospital provided transport a private hire car driven by Jack the Lad. Take it easy, I was told, don't exert yourself and don't get stressed.
Within 5 minutes, still in Oxford town, he hit 95 MPH. Along the A40 he bullied the driver of a sports car out of his lane on a roundabout, drove at least 20 MPH over any speed limit, had to seriously stand on brakes to avoid hitting a lorry and only met his match on a narrow country back road. Driving along at about 55MPH, Jack on phone to mate complaining about state of roads. Looks up to see huge black Range Rover coming in opposite direction. Now, Range Rovers in the Cotswolds do not give way to fire engines let alone taxis, so Jack is forced to pull over into large pot hole/small ditch. Much banging from suspension, and yelling from me. Reach destination 5 minutes later. I run into toilet and hide until he's gone.

Since then things have got better and today I went for my first bike ride. Only 6 miles on track, but very good for me. You don't forget how to do it. Now the commute - but don't tell the consultant - he might offer me a taxi instead.

Bill

Reactions: john h

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Makes me wonder what would happen if a passenger for that cab told the driver he was in a hurry, asking him to step on it! :eek:

Reactions: billadie

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I had a nasty, aggressive taxi driver when I left hospital after a hip replacement.

His driving was unsafe, but I was not about to let anything interfere with my precious new hip after going through so much bother to have it done.

I don't know if he fully understood my remark about me giving him a crutch enema, but he got the general idea and slowed down.

Reactions: billadie

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Years ago i turned down the offer of shifting my brothers black hack,why he asked ? i told him i cant drive like a mad man ,+ I you's my indicator to tell other people where i am going.;). Good to hear your back on your bike Billadie

Advertisers