Baffled about rear wheel removal - Scott e-sub cross 10

green-gf

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2019
Hi I've done quite a bit of bike maintenance over the years, and don't expect any issues when getting a wheel off - until now!

I removed the quick release, have the chain in the highest (smallest) gear, and am used to the wheel popping out when I pull the rear mech back. But no, it's rock solid. Removed the drop out in desperation after reading that there can be clips that retain the wheel - don't understand that though, at least not looking at my bike. There's disc brakes on this model of course, but I've worked with those before.

So probably an easy one for someone - your help would be so much appreciated. Bought online so no local supplier for help.

Totally recommend this bike, except for the tyres that seem bit flimsy (hence first puncture in years). 40 miles on the battery using a range of power levels

Thanks, Geoff

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
I had the same problem on my freego wren. The rear drop outs were too close fitting together for the wheel hub, I needed to prize the frame open about 10mm to remove and refit the wheel.

In contrast the front wheel was easy.
Hope I never have to remove the rear ever again. Impossible to do anything at the roadside. Took about an hour to do.

Reactions: LeighPing

green-gf

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2019
thanks for that - that's quite a big frame adjustment - think I'll get a professional to look at it even though I'll have to pay in that case

How did you prize it open out of interest?

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
Two methods.

1st was incredible hulk inspired, think of trying to prize bars apart by hand as if you are trying to free someone who's head is trapped in some railings.

2nd was using pry bars that mechanics use.

All probably wrong but it worked. Couldn't believe I had to resort to that.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Two methods.

1st was incredible hulk inspired, think of trying to prize bars apart by hand as if you are trying to free someone who's head is trapped in some railings.

2nd was using pry bars that mechanics use.

All probably wrong but it worked. Couldn't believe I had to resort to that.
If you ever need to widen a gap, there is a simple trick with two spanners (wrenches) that gives a huge amount of leverage.
See here:-

regards

Andy

Reactions: danielrlee

green-gf

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2019
thanks guys - took it into a shop and they said hands only, that the aluminium doesn't have the tolerance for being bent like a carbon frame would