Bank holiday riding

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One way or another it's not been a bad weekend in respect of getting out on the bike. Three days off work and three rides.

Admittedly each ride has only been very short, averaging 12 miles or so for each, but that has been because I have been out constructing a new one mile off road single track section, that cuts off an area of ride which remains almost too muddy to ride for 8 months of the year.

Another bonus this week, was being shown some new ride routes. I thought that I had knowledge of every ride route in my area, but it was brilliant being shown some that I knew nothing about. In fact a whole 13 miles worth of new riding. :)

Lovely to also have a bit of drier weather for a change. :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Intended doing a canal ride yesterday.( Chesterfield canal is always quiet ). Trailer for grandson..wife,s bike and borrowed motus on back of car.
A mile into ride...puncture my back wheel. No probs...spare tube...yep but wrong size...!! ( and Schrader valve not presto)
Walk back to car pushing bike pulling trailer, feeding grandson...listening to moans from trailer and other bike.( its rider really)
Got to car....lost keys...A typical family day out ....Walked back down canal....found keys...now pouring down....
Stuck the lot in back of car...went to Lady Bower on my own today...
Just a bit more peaceful.
WP_20160502_003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing
Mar 9, 2016
Yep wife had a good laugh too...its what you get when you borrow bikes without having a good look at them.
Took my little tool kit off ordinary mtb...live and learn..
Take care.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Have you not heard of slime inner tubes with pre-loaded puncture sealant in them? ;)

You'd have had a better day if you had.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just go tube less ;)

Mar 9, 2016
It does help stop nipping punctures. At low pressures you can nip tube between between rim and tyre when you hit rocks.
Also at very low pressures tyre can move slightly under braking, with a tube in it rips valve stem.

Tubeless for mtb is the way to go , and I will on mine...eventually.
But motus is not mine..

Just as an asside ....trials bikes run as low as 5 psi in tyres...they have security bolts holding tyre to rim to prevent tyre rotation.
Enduro lads didn't care about punctures , inevitable...filled tyre with " mousses" ! Soft round balls..absolute nightmare to fit tyre...was for me any how...
Not sure of spelling of mousses...?? Might not even be a word ! But they called them that.

I,d guess ( not sure in this one) that self sealing stuff in tyres/tubes works better on tyres than tubes ( it has more thickness to work on) With a tube leaking air comes out at valve hole , even if gunk stuff got to tyre. I know in early days of self sealing tyres it had to be on tyres( ie tubeless) but they were crap, folk used to take brand new cars to garages and trade in self sealing tyres for leaky ones !!!)

But we are straying...

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

Related Articles

Advertisers