Batribike Nebula Step Through

BikeSnail

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2021
I'm looking for a ride to help me climb a hill with up to 17% incline with an 11kg kid at the back.

Would Batrbike Nebula work for this? it's at the absolute top of my budget but I'm tempted by the higher torque (90nm !) rating mid-drive motor.

In order of importance, the bike needs to be powerful enough for the nemesis hill linked above, have a step through frame and a rack. An integrated light would be a plus.

I had a 2018 Raleigh Motus on loan for a while (40 nm torque) and it got us up the hill in the above setup. I was all huffy and puffy but I can live with that as long as we do manage to get to the finish line. Unfortunately Motuses seem to be out of my price range.

I weigh 62 kg so with the kid and gear combined weiht should be around 80kgs. My son will gain another 3kgs in the next 2 years after whch I will likely look at a more expensive option.

Feel free to also recommend hub motor alternatives if you think they may have climbing ability comparable to or better than the Motus (40nm torque mid-drive). My understanding is that torque on a hub motor is not the same as torque on a mid-drive motor but I am not able to judge the extent of this difference.

Many thanks,

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When buying a bike with a mid-motor, you really need to stick with Bosch, Shimano and Bafang. Yamaha is probably worth risking if other factors are good. The problem with other systems is who's going to fix them when the warranty runs out. The Batribike uses Promovec electrics that most people have never heard of. It's not so bad with hub-motors because they nearly all work and fit the same, so you can mix and match parts if you can't get OEM ones.

Torque has nothing to do with the type of motor. You can get hub-motors that make 350 Nm or anything you want.