Help! Battery and controller issue on Carrera vengeance

Cryptish

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2021
Leicester
Hi, complete newbie here (even to bikes let alone e-bikes)
I got my first e-bike, carrera vengeance e spec on the Saturday just gone from Halfords. Rode home very well, put my bike in my shed and charged the battery to full.
This morning, half way riding to work (around 40 minute ride), my controller switched off and the battery lights were flashing with no power going through.

The issues hasn't changed in hours and I'm worried I might have buggered my battery already? Does this all sound like something I need to take back to the store or is there anything I can try to fix it at home?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The number of lights and pattern of flashing give a clue to what's wrong. It's detailed in the manual, which Halfords are obliged by law to give you at the time of purchase.

Cryptish

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2021
Leicester
The number of lights and pattern of flashing give a clue to what's wrong. It's detailed in the manual, which Halfords are obliged by law to give you at the time of purchase.
I don't remember them giving me the manual but with @cyclebuddy 's help I have it downloaded now.
The closest I can see it being is 0% battery which doesn't make sense since I had charged it to full over the weekend. Putting it on charge for now and hopefully something about it will change.

Nequalsnplusone

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2021
Hi - my wife bought a carrera vengeance e a few weeks and she started getting the same problems with battery fails a few times when waiting at junctions and then it failed while riding. The Halfords store have been fully supportive through it. They first changed the battery and then changed the bike. I was told, although not officially, that it’s a big problem for Halfords and they’ve got loads of bikes being returned because of it.

Worringly the replacement bike seemed to have trouble today. We’re keeping a close eye on it.

A temporary fix seems to be plugging the battery back into the charger just to reset it.

Engineer21

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2021
Hi, I found the same problem with my E-life bikes, a Swift & Patriot, from the shopping channel. The solution is to reset the battery each time after charging. I charged my battery on the bike, then when finished, I took the battery out and replaced it,
problem solved, no more cutting out.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi - my wife bought a carrera vengeance e a few weeks and she started getting the same problems with battery fails a few times when waiting at junctions and then it failed while riding. The Halfords store have been fully supportive through it. They first changed the battery and then changed the bike. I was told, although not officially, that it’s a big problem for Halfords and they’ve got loads of bikes being returned because of it.

Worringly the replacement bike seemed to have trouble today. We’re keeping a close eye on it.

A temporary fix seems to be plugging the battery back into the charger just to reset it.
Have a look at the motor connector under the left side chainstay. Some have the wires too tight, which pulls the connector apart and breaks contact. This causes the elctrical system to shut down.

Cryptish

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2021
Leicester

It's a bit worrying that it seems very common. I can't exactly bike to work and back without the assistance due to medical reasons. Just got mine fixed with the battery issue (again, staff in my Halfords are supportive) and kept it on charge when I came back home and now has E21 on the screen, but at least the screen is working now to give an error.

Reactions: Nequalsnplusone

Nequalsnplusone

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2021
Have a look at the motor connector under the left side chainstay. Some have the wires too tight, which pulls the connector apart and breaks contact. This causes the elctrical system to shut down.
Thanks for this. I did check it both on the last one and this one.

Nequalsnplusone

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2021
It's a bit worrying that it seems very common. I can't exactly bike to work and back without the assistance due to medical reasons. Just got mine fixed with the battery issue (again, staff in my Halfords are supportive) and kept it on charge when I came back home and now has E21 on the screen, but at least the screen is working now to give an error.
One thing I'm wondering about is whether the charging is causing the issue. I've noticed that if the charger is left plugged in significantly after the unit has finished charging (charger goes to green from red and battery lights are all blue) the bike starts to lose charge again. We're unplugging ours as soon as we notice it's fully charged.

On the error code, the manual states that this is due to a torque sensor issue. If your bike hasn't been swapped over completely yet, I'd push for this. You have to be able to rely on it.

Related Articles

Advertisers