Battery Help! - Saft Vh Module, Heinzmenn Rn Motor

greguk89

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Hello,

Firstly, I tried to post this in Technical but it said I didn't have the rights so if anyone can help me out there then that would be great.

Now, I've got a Team Hybrid Viper which attaches to a wheelchair and forms an electric tricycle. Mine uses a SAFT VH battery module along with a Heinzmann RN, I think thats the motor anyways.

The battery has its own indicator built into it and the 80-100% light hasn't been lighting up after charging, I rang Team Hybrid and they advised me to run the battery down and re-charge - and to do this several times.

However, that would mean me doing nearly circuit of my city's boundaries which I don't have time for. So I attached the viper to mobility hoist and hoisted it up into the air, I've put the battery in and taped the throttle over so it would run the battery down.

But the battery still hasn't gone down a light; so, 1) is this not enough to run the battery down, does it need the traction of going along? and 2) am i damaging the motor by not giving it traction and letting it spin round for 60-80 miles in 1 go (bare in mind its in the air).

Any suggestions would be great because i use this as my only way of getting around uni and I've already lost power at the bottom end of my campus resulting in people having to push all the way back.

thanks,

Greg

Marcus_from_sweden

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 27, 2007
But the battery still hasn't gone down a light; so, 1) is this not enough to run the battery down, does it need the traction of going along?
This method is enough to run the battery down, but it will take longer to do so, since the motor is not exposed to any resistance by spinning freely in the air. So give it some time, and the battery will be discharged.

/Marcus

greguk89

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you Marcus,

Anyone know if I'm doing damage to the motor? Obviously its creating more wear and tear but are components like the bearings (this guesswork as my mechanical knowledge is not so good) likely to stop working alot sooner?

However, am i right in thinking my type of motor is just a big electromagnet, if so, its unlikely to go wrong for many miles to come??

thanks,

Greg

greguk89

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Thank you Marcus,

Anyone know if I'm doing damage to the motor? Obviously its creating more wear and tear but are components like the bearings (this guesswork as my mechanical knowledge is not so good) likely to stop working alot sooner?

However, am i right in thinking my type of motor is just a big electromagnet, if so, its unlikely to go wrong for many miles to come??

thanks,

Greg

Marcus_from_sweden

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 27, 2007
Thank you Marcus,

I don't know what kind of motor you are using, but if you have a brushed motor it will stop working sooner. The carbon brushes only lasts for so many miles, then they need to be replaced. However, i can't say how much shorter the lifespan of the motor will be, it basicly depends on how many miles you use up while discharging the battery.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Greg,

With Ni-Cad batteries such as your SAFT pack it is important to fully discharge them fairly often in order to maintain them in good condition, although as you have said this is often not convenient, especially for someone in your position.

Running the motor off of the ground on no load will eventually discharge the battery but it will take a long time as the power consumed in simply turning the wheel without driving is a fraction of that consumed in normal use, and there is also your concern about wear and tear. Your Heinzmann motor does have carbon brushes which are subject to wear, this however will be very low and not really anything to worry about.