Battery locks - any good ones?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Are there any purpose-built locks to stop batteries being removed? Or can a well-placed good-quality padlock do the job (i.e. somewhere just above the battery to stop it being slid up and away)?

Allen (shortly, a Wisper 905se CityS)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I just add a decent cable lock through frame/seat/rack and handle of battery for a little more security.....

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Useful-ish, BertYB, and thanks.

Cycling Plus, in their lock review of the Masterlock Magnum (similar design), which took 4.6 seconds for a Halfords-type bolt cutter to demolish it, said:

A 2m long armoured cable with a 30mm diameter for £25 sounds almost too good to be true. Sadly that's exactly how it proved to be. ....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1503128/test...20part 1.pdf

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1503128/test...20part 2.pdf

If you click on those PDF documents, you'll find reviews of most popular locks; the results aren't encouraging!

I know the Wisper has its own built-in lock, but I was thinking of putting a 'proper' Squire-type lock on the frame above it, on the reasoning that the Wisper lock is probably fairly easy to bust, whereas the Squire-type lock (£50 plus for a sodding padlock, mind), isn't...

Allen.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I know the Wisper has its own built-in lock, but I was thinking of putting a 'proper' Squire-type lock on the frame above it, on the reasoning that the Wisper lock is probably fairly easy to bust, whereas the Squire-type lock (£50 plus for a sodding padlock, mind), isn't...

Allen.
The Wisper lock is quite well designed and will need force to bypass it, as the frame can be cut through easily then heavy locks are a little pointless. The seat tube doesn't extend above the top of the battery so there isn't much you can attach a padlock to. I recommend you wait until you have the bike and then work out what will be good, that is likely to be either trust the Wisper lock or don't leave the battery in the bike.

I have two levels of security I use, one for quick stops in unusual places (shops etc) and one for regular parking at home or work. Anywhere temporary the Wisper lock is good enough for me along with a lighter chain but a regular parking place gets an 18mm D lock and the battery removed.

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Fair enough, mussels - I wasn't going to buy it till I saw what I was up against. I think the yanks call it getting all your ducks lined up.

A.

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
How depressing.

Buy a nice light bike - that's my push bike - then you have to load it up with a massive heavyweight security system.

It does me ok when I'm just nipping into a shop and is esp good for securing the Quando for a for a short while. See the 3rd review on my link above.

(Can't link up to the pdf's. error 404)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Fair enough, mussels - I wasn't going to buy it till I saw what I was up against. I think the yanks call it getting all your ducks lined up.

A.
I've had people try to steal my whole bike or just components of it and I have lost a few accessories that I forgot to remove, this is all on a busy road in central London. Thieves often think of new tactics to relieve you of your pride and joy but fortunately most thieves are just opportunists or stupid, which is just as well as most locks are rubbish.