Battery mower

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I see that Bosch are offering their Rotak 37LI battery mower which has a '36V Li-Ion' battery. No trailing wire and less weight and maintenance than a petrol engine model. Do any of the battery experts (flecc?) have an opinion on whether this type of battery might last a few years? I suppose the problem would be the 4 -5 months the mower is not in use. A charge every month perhaps? Or run the motor for a while without mowing, just to give the battery some exercise?

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
I've got an Enviromower, and blooming marvelous it is too.

No wires, no horrible petrol fumes, pretty quiet (especially compared to a petrol job), runs for about 1.5 hours per charge and mulches too (no grass cuttings to pick up) :).

I've had it for about 18 months now with no problems. I just charge it every 6 weeks or so during the winter to keep the battery happy.

The manufacturers claim the battery will last for 5 years.

Regards,

Elephants

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't say without further information Bob, but some newer lithium batteries like the Panasonic ones on the Kalkhoffs have a "sleep" mode. This means that if left for an extended time, the battery goes to sleep and is no longer chemically as active, suspending the deterioration. All that's necessary to kick these back into life is a full charge and discharge conditioning again.

If Bosch has that type of battery, the winter period would be no problem.

The Enviromower uses lead acid batteries of course, so charging every two months at least is advisable through the winter.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
Thanks for those replies. I've seen adverts giving the battery life of the Enviromower at 3 - 5 years, but with a replacement cost of £59 it isn't the end of the world when you do need one. As with electric bikes you wouldn't buy one on economy grounds - I use less than £10 of petrol a year in my present mower. Elephants comments make it clear that there are other benefits. There is no mention of sleeping batteries with the Bosch - just 'no self discharge, no memory effect'. There were reports of bad battery life on earlier lithium battery models but it is claimed that the new ones are a big improvement (where have I heard that before?). As always with developinig technology, you pays your money and takes your chance.

Advertisers