Battery only charging partially

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There is no need to open the case. You measure the output voltage at the battery output port, where it makes contact with the controller. Post a picture if you are not sure.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We don't know the status of the ten cell groups so knowing the ten singular voltages may help.
We know to a degree the battery will charge to a point so all cellgroups are above LVC, though we don't know if one is weak or one is high.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We don't know the status of the ten cell groups so knowing the ten singular voltages may help.
We know to a degree the battery will charge to a point so all cellgroups are above LVC, though we don't know if one is weak or one is high.
A step by step process will soon determine the fault.
What surprised me is he thought he needed to open the battery case to measure the battery's voltage.
Start charging at 34.0
15min 36.0
30 min 37.0
38 min Orange turns to green and charging stops. Voltage drops to 36.0 instantly.
I’m now waiting another hour and will report.
It does look like you said, we don't know if one block or more is bad, The battery is more than 5 years old and should be retired in any case.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I suggested opening th battery to read the ten cell groups to see if their is a fault but mostly agree that due to the battery age recycling is most likely better.
In the short term though Chris can learn some new skills by opening and learning how to check cell group measurements .

Reactions: Chris Maluszynski

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
When you say recycling it means i I need a new battery? That would be the end of the bike pretty much as those are crazy expensive.
the battery was fine (and still sort of is though it needs to be charged much more frequently than before) so I don’t see why it should be scrapped due to age? Couldn’t bad cells be replaced?
I’ll report once I’ve opened the case. I guess it’s just a matter of removing the screws?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, to open the case, it's just a matter of removing the screws.
Batteries are generally safe but they have limited life expectancy. As they age, the risk of fracturing the electrodes increases. Fractures can create a shortcircuit between the electrodes and the cell will overheat to the point of setting fire to the battery. Batteries should be preventively recycled after 5 years to minimise the fire risks. Same for EV cars, their batteries should be replaced after 8 years, making their green credentials looking a bit dubious until now but in the long run, we'll get solid state batteries that should last 20 years.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
When you say recycling it means i I need a new battery? That would be the end of the bike pretty much as those are crazy expensive.
the battery was fine (and still sort of is though it needs to be charged much more frequently than before) so I don’t see why it should be scrapped due to age? Couldn’t bad cells be replaced?
I’ll report once I’ve opened the case. I guess it’s just a matter of removing the screws?
The cheapest way to repair your battery is to remove the cell-pack and buy a replacement of a similar size and put in in the case. That normally involves cutting 4 wires and soldering the 4 new ones, and adding a bit of packing to stop it rattling .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the white connector at the top of the BMS has 11 balance wires. They are connected to the cell blocks. One end is ground or Bat-, the other is the Bat +. The voltage at the wire next to the Bat- should be about 3.6V, the next wire 7.2V etc until the 11th wire 36V.
Let us know what you find.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You may have to carefully cut that wrapping to access it, it looks like you have 11 wire inputs .
The first should be B0/B- then the other ten are all B+ so B1 thru to B10, set the meter dc dial to 20v.

A pair of sewing needles or hem pins come in handy to poke in the pins outs on the wire connecotor, then one can place the meter probes on to them.
Starting with B0 & B1 take a reading don't allow the probes or needles to touch (place a bit of thin card between them to prevent accidental shorting), one should get 1/10th of the battery voltage so 3.6v if the battery is reading 36v or 3.47 if reading 34.7v as an example. For reading # two move both needles along one position ( so B1 into B2 & B0 in to B1 ), do this ten times until you have ten individual voltage readings. Write them down and post the results.

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Ok. Here goes.
(Battery was not “fully” charged as a short bike trip was made after last nights charging)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Couldn’t bad cells be replaced?
If the pack was built as is recommended, with all cells from the same batch, then if one or more has failed, its liklely there are others very close to failure too.

So the voltages of the cell banks are

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Repair is not worth the risk. You would have mismatched cells in your battery.

• Agree
Reactions: StuartsProjects

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You found the fault and it is a shorted block. Take it to the recycling centre.

• Agree
Reactions: StuartsProjects

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
When you say recycling it means i I need a new battery? That would be the end of the bike pretty much as those are crazy expensive. ..
What size battery? Is it the "traditional" battery type

There are places that will re-cell them or winstanley bikes have the batteries slightly cheaper or if you are more adventurous just buy a 36 v battery and connect it to the controller

Advertisers