Battery upgrade or charging on the go

Dario

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Hi all. I did a quick search but i did not find an answer so here goes.

Has anyone purchased a bigger capacity battery for their Ebike. I currently have a Giant MTB with the 500w battery and wondered if a more powerful unit was available to extend the bike's range.

Now this totally left field but has anyone tried to hook up a solar panel to help charge a battery on the go?
Could a panel be attached to a rucksack to top up your charge as you cycle along?

I have no idea if such a set up is possible/feesible but thought someone on here might know. Thanks in advance Dario

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The tiny amount of charge you'd get from a rucksack size panel means it would be more trouble than it's worth. In places of constant bright sunshine closer to the equator much larger panels have been useful when mounted as a roof over the rider or over a trailer. Not very much use in the cloudy UK though.

The easiest but possibly expensive solution for more range is an additional battery to swap with when the first runs out. I've ridden with up to three batteries on some occasions, one mounted and one in each pannier, but of course the bike is heavy then though no more than a couple of bags of groceries added.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
You can fit another battery in parallel but you must make sure the voltages are very close before connecting. I have a 10s3p with 3500mah cells, nearly doubles the range of my 400wh battery for an extra 1.6 - 1.7kg.

Dario

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2018
Glasgow
Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

Another question sorry. Is there a 1000w battery on the market available for the Giant E+1 full 2017? Does the size of the battery increase with capacity? Thanks
Dario

Related Articles

Advertisers