BBC children in need

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Unfortunately the whole charitable sector lacks scrutiny. A friend of mine of 52 years standing until his death was a civil service executive officer in the Charity Commission for several years and confirmed all my own observations of widespread abuse. He also complained of the Commission's lack of teeth, an inability to do anything meaningful about it. He wasn't alone in that, many have publically said the same over the years.
Not in the UK only. We have had a number of cases where the CEOs of regional charities were on 6 figure salaries. It has soured relationships in Ireland to a very large extent.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What??!!!

Six figure salaries? That`s not a charity that's a business!

And a lucrative one at that..
Most of the larger ones are unfortunately. A high proportion of incumbents make their careers in charity, making career moves between those organisations. Whilst presumably on a suitable skills basis, this does tend to define the sector as business.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I read a justification being.. we need a big name figurehead and they command a high price, but if you consider that they probably don't do any actual work or need the money they would gain much kudos by doing it for free.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I read that it takes 10,000 OAP's paying £2 per month each just to pay Cancer Research UK chief exec' s salary.
The salaries paid to many senior charity employees is both a national scandal, and a national disgrace. It’s nothing short of obscene and I for one am very careful which charities I support. Careful research of executive pay being one of the most important factors.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A close friend of mine is high up in the masons and they stopped giving money years ago. They prefer to buy a piece of equipment for the local hospital for example.
Ideal, direct help where it's needed from every penny given.

Reactions: tillson

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Blowing the dust of this thread and turning the focus onto things technical; is the 2022 McLaren Engineering's rickshaw a "pedelec", and if so what if anything do we here know about it technically?

Advertisers