Be Prepared

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
OK, I try to be prepared for all possible outcomes, but sometimes it does not work out.
I recently got a new Haibike full seven, and have done 200 miles on it, I have a standard back pack with all my spares in it, which I always carry, because I go in remote off road areas.
Well I got a puncture in the worst location, mid winter, high up on the Bowland fells, so no problem, I had my back pack with all my gear, so just change the tube. OK check the tyre to see what caused it.
First problem, the bike has a thru axle, which I have never used before, fortunately I had a suitable allen tool, Tyre came off easily and I threaded the new tube in, only to discover it was a schrader! And would not fit. My previous bike was a schrader, this was a Presta, OK dumb mistake.

No problem,I had a puncture repair kit, but finding the leak was another matter, being up high in a remote area this time helped as I soon found a flooded ditch, but my C02 inflator was set to schrader, Arrgh.

Time to fall back to my third level of redundancy and an emergency pump, that takes for ever to work, again it was set to schrader, and I had never used it before, but soon discovered it had an adaptor in the handle.
Result, it all worked out well, and I avoided a huge walk out. 20 years ago I had a huge walk out from here when my tyre wall blew, I initially repaired it with my sock and managed a few miles, but gave up, walked 5 miles to the pub, and phoned Mrs to get me.
So be prepared if you are going remote, this is a Summer video of where I was.
OK it was much worse in Winter

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you go tubeless you wont get any punctures with the right tyres as i have never had one, thin ass tyres are no good for these bikes waight.

2.8kg of my bikes waight is the tyres on there own and pretty much bomb proof ;)

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
if you go tubeless you wont get any punctures with the right tyres as i have never had one, thin ass tyres are no good for these bikes waight.

2.8kg of my bikes waight is the tyres on there own and pretty much bomb proof ;)
Thanks, I am considering tubeless, my puncture was a thorn, still learning the best set up, after 20 years of non ebike riding.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
once you do it you will never go back all i do is top up the sealant every 3 months buy removing the valve and syringing it in.

now you will need a air blast pump otherwise you might get problems seating the tyres esp loose fitting ones.

and i use this sealant and that should last year and half.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Whist I agree that having tubeless, you will get “almost” no punctures, there is still a chance you can rip the tyre wall, so you will still need to carry a spare tube, esp if like me you cycle in the back of beyond with nothing but sheep for company.
I also carry the tyre repair patches for such an occasion, you can never be too prepared.
Although some people I know jump on their bike and hope for the best… each to their own I suppose.

Reactions: EddiePJ

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Whist I agree that having tubeless, you will get “almost” no punctures, there is still a chance you can rip the tyre wall, so you will still need to carry a spare tube, esp if like me you cycle in the back of beyond with nothing but sheep for company.
I also carry the tyre repair patches for such an occasion, you can never be too prepared.
Although some people I know jump on their bike and hope for the best… each to their own I suppose.
Almost a lifetime ago I used to ice climb in Scotland with another lad who was very fit, much stronger and so faster on the mountain he didn’t even bother carrying a spare bulb for his head torch. No point carrying extra weight he used to smile .

Me, i used to carry spare everything....

Typically neither of us came to any harm, I just have bad knees now :)

When I took my old homemade iron mountain bike up Snowdon during the winter of 1978 it was a fair old struggle and admittedly involved a fair bit of pushing. The only spares I needed was a glove when one of my dakstein mittens disappeared in the gale and when descending an m6 bolt came out of the front side pull brake, that took me by surprise, I could have used some spare underpants when that happened ;-)

Today I Carry tools and spares on the bike even when I nip out for fresh air. I carry spares mainly because it’s more convenient to fix the bike at the side of the road and ride home than the alternative.

Reactions: D C

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I usually go prepared for anything, but nothing prepared me a couple of weeks ago for loosing the bike in what was basically a pond, after going over the handlebars in a hole that stopped the bike dead.

It's lovely getting an error 500 and 501 code when miles from home in the dark. All good fun though!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you killed the motor then?

Reactions: EddiePJ

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I even carry spare spares and tools that I don't personally need, so I can help others who I meet miles from anywhere with punctures or damage. It's incredible how many folk take to the hills without any means of self support. They always seem to have a mobile phone which amazes them when it doesn't work as is common in my part of the world.
Good advice is to do a dry run of mending a puncture at home to give confidence and knowledge for if, or rather when it happens on a run.
Dave.

Reactions: gw8izr

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Good advice is to do a dry run of mending a puncture at home to give confidence and knowledge for if, or rather when it happens on a run.
Dave.
That’s absolutely correct, you can’t go to the kitchen and find another tablespoon to use as a tire later when you’re up in the mountains :)

Reactions: KirstinS

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
That’s absolutely correct, you can’t go to the kitchen and find another tablespoon to use as a tire later when you’re up in the mountains :)
I think you must have graduated from the same school of bike maintenance as I did about 60+ years back.
Dave.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Plastic baby feeding spoons are best.

My kids are rather too old for that now.!

Seriously, amongst the full toolkit I always carry, I have a small pedal spanner that incorporates a tyre lever and spoke key. A couple of quid from planet x

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Are you sure?:)
Dave.
Eddie is hard core nothing he likes better then freezing his nuts off in a wet mud bath.

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ and D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Freezing my nuts off is one thing, having to cycle on the A22 with a dead bike, in the dark with a crap back light, and black clothing, is quite another. :)
That sounds scary, hope you can get the bike fixed.
Dave.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I must admit that after repairing an inner tube at the side of the road and while packing the tools away, spotting a spare tube in the bottom of the bag is annoying :)

I used to run tubs many years ago and a complete spare would pack down to not much bigger than an inner tube. It did take awhile for the cement to go off and we did have to take corners a little more steadily for an hour or so, when they rolled off the rim at pace it could be quite exciting. I wouldn’t go back to those tires at all as my idea of fun does not include an hour with a needle and thread every time you had to repair one.

Related Articles

Advertisers