Help! Benelli letizia

Smartcarr1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 8, 2020
Hi Everyone
Looking for help/ideas...
I have a Benelli letizia which I love but I moved house , kept it snuggly wrapped up only to find 6 moths later it won’t start!
took to bike shop, they checked the battery and advised a new one.....I spend£300 on a new battery, not a cheap version and the bike will still show now signs of life. So I now have 2 good batteries and one dead bike.
Not sure what to do now and am feeling disappointed and don’t want this to put me off riding
Any clues anyone?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The obvious is to check the voltage output of both batteries and tell us the reading.
Also check all wire connectors, pull them apart and carefully reconnect them esp the one from the motor wheel to controller.
Does the lcd bar display work/switch on ?

Smartcarr1

Jan 8, 2020
The obvious is to check the voltage output of both batteries and tell us the reading.
Also check all wire connectors, pull them apart and carefully reconnect them esp the one from the motor wheel to controller.
Does the lcd bar display work/switch on ?
Hi the lcd display does not light up at all.
The new battery is fully charged and shows this on the indicator as does the ‘old’ battery.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Are you getting voltage from the controller to power the display?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can't rely on the battery indicator, you need to physically use a voltage meter to 100% confirm that the battery output pins are registering voltage (41.5 - 42v). If a meter tells you something different then there is a problem, once we know the actual voltage reading we can then rule out some of the possible faults that can occur.

As the LCD isn't lighting up/ switching on this indicates that it is not receiving any power so somewhere between the battery and LCD there is an interruption. A battery voltage reading is key to start with.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Everyone
Looking for help/ideas...
I have a Benelli letizia which I love but I moved house , kept it snuggly wrapped up only to find 6 moths later it won’t start!
took to bike shop, they checked the battery and advised a new one.....I spend£300 on a new battery, not a cheap version and the bike will still show now signs of life. So I now have 2 good batteries and one dead bike.
Not sure what to do now and am feeling disappointed and don’t want this to put me off riding
Any clues anyone?
How sad.
Regards
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi the lcd display does not light up at all.
The new battery is fully charged and shows this on the indicator as does the ‘old’ battery.
As Neath correctly said, do check the voltage of both batteries with a reasonable voltmeter, as a "dead" battery may also indicate "full" when the charger is connected.
Its a well documented problem with Li-ion batteries, that need to be carefully cared for even when not in use.
In fact, as I have come here "late to the party", so possibly someone may have already mentioned it!
regards
Andy

Smartcarr1

Jan 8, 2020
As Neath correctly said, do check the voltage of both batteries with a reasonable voltmeter, as a "dead" battery may also indicate "full" when the charger is connected.
Its a well documented problem with Li-ion batteries, that need to be carefully cared for even when not in use.
In fact, as I have come here "late to the party", so possibly someone may have already mentioned it!
regards
Andy
Thank you for your observations Andy/ Neath
Yes it is sad as it’s an expensive bike that I was very happy using and now can’t afford to replace so hopefully the voltmeter will give ideas or it’ll be of to the recycling yard
No pun intended :-(

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thank you for your observations Andy/ Neath
Yes it is sad as it’s an expensive bike that I was very happy using and now can’t afford to replace so hopefully the voltmeter will give ideas or it’ll be of to the recycling yard
No pun intended :-(
Let us know if you still need help.
regards
Andy

D

Deleted member 25121

It could be that the old battery was in poor condition and needed replacing but the problem is elsewhere, isn't the bike shop able to help you?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you can bring your bike to Southend-on-Sea, I'll fix it for you.

Smartcarr1

Jan 8, 2020
You can't rely on the battery indicator, you need to physically use a voltage meter to 100% confirm that the battery output pins are registering voltage (41.5 - 42v). If a meter tells you something different then there is a problem, once we know the actual voltage reading we can then rule out some of the possible faults that can occur.

As the LCD isn't lighting up/ switching on this indicates that it is not receiving any power so somewhere between the battery and LCD there is an interruption. A battery voltage reading is key to start with.
Good afternoon
Here is the reading on the
regards
Andy
Good Afternoon All
I have attached photos of the voltmeter reading on my 36v battery for my Benelli letizia pas bike, I’ll be honest it means nothing to me!
Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Good afternoon

Good Afternoon All
I have attached photos of the voltmeter reading on my 36v battery for my Benelli letizia pas bike, I’ll be honest it means nothing to me!
Any ideas anyone?
Assuming that you got the correct points (usually marked "+ and -") on the battery to check voltage, that is a really low reading, and if a true indication of the SOC, then either a fuse is blown, or a (key)switch is open, or wiring is damaged (unlikely on two batteries I feel).
I wish that I could be more accurate for you.....
If it repesents the true SOC, then I feel that the batteries need replacing.
(SOC = State Of Charge).
The meter appears to be correctly set, but did you first test both of the meter leads by selecting a low Ohms scale, and shorting the test leads together and thereby getting a true 0 Ohms reading?
Do not forget to reset back to DC volts before measuring the battery voltage.

Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good afternoon

Good Afternoon All
Any ideas anyone?
It is clear to me as is night and day.
Try again with the volt meter's dial set to 200v, then you might get a proper voltage reading.
If the battery is any thing like a Bosch battery then you may get no sensible reading.

Last edited: