Best replacement for Raleigh Dover?

Diamonds

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2020
Hello - I'm new to this forum and would be really grateful if someone can advise me on finding a replacement for my much loved Raleigh Dover (which finally died in November).

I work as a gardener so used my Raleigh Dover to pull my trolley full of tools. I can only afford a second hand bike and made the mistake of buying a Giant twist lite, again second hand. It's fine & in perfect condition but not strong enough to pull my trolley up hills - especially after a hard day's work. I'd like to resell the Giant and buy another bike secondhand. I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise me on what I need to look for. I'm guessing it's all to do with the motor in order to make sure the bike's got enough power. I need to buy second hand as I can only afford up to about £600. I don't need it to go long distances.

(I've been looking at a Raleigh Array on Ebay but I think perhaps the motor is not powerful enough for what I need)

Thank you!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you are not too far from Southend, bring the Raleigh Dover to my shop.
I may be able to fix it for you.

Reactions: RobF

Diamonds

Jan 4, 2020
if you are not too far from Southend, bring the Raleigh Dover to my shop.
I may be able to fix it for you.
Thank you that's really kind but it's too late! I got it looked at by our local bike shop and as well as the battery being dead too many other parts were worn out or broken for it to be worth fixing. Basically I ran it into the ground! I sold it for spares.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
have you looked at conversions?
it's an excellent way to get exactly what you need without breaking the bank.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thank you - I have looked at them but I think a standard electric bike is what I need.
Which Dover did you have?

I think most of them were 26v Panasonic crank drives which were famously reliable, but not very powerful.

Although I recall a Raleigh front hub bike which might have been called Dover.

Either way, any newish 36v ebike ought to pull just as well.

A crank or rear hub drive would be best for towing.

People usually recommend ebay or Gumtree, but there are many sharks on both sites.

Something advertised on a local facebook group might be better because you would have some idea who you were dealing with.

Diamonds

Jan 4, 2020
Which Dover did you have?

I think most of them were 26v Panasonic crank drives which were famously reliable, but not very powerful.

Although I recall a Raleigh front hub bike which might have been called Dover.

Either way, any newish 36v ebike ought to pull just as well.

A crank or rear hub drive would be best for towing.

People usually recommend ebay or Gumtree, but there are many sharks on both sites.

Something advertised on a local facebook group might be better because you would have some idea who you were dealing with.
Hi thank you for this! I'm not sure what type my Dover was - but it was quite old. My problem is that the Giant twist lite bike I bought (36V / SyncDrive F silent clutch motor) isn't powerful enough to use with the trailer, which makes me think I need to look more closely at the specification of the motor when buying.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think the Giant may have had a 'pancake' direct drive motor.

They are quick when wound up, but absolutely useless at pulling - as you found.

A compact geared motor, perversely, will pull your trailer much better.

There are one or two ebikes just about in your budget at Halfords.

They have basic hub motors, but are 36v and should pull nicely.

The Carrera hub drive with the Suntour motor pulls and rides well.

Might be worth seeing what you can screw Halfords down to, but it will be a hundred or two more than your budget.

Diamonds

Jan 4, 2020
I think the Giant may have had a 'pancake' direct drive motor.

They are quick when wound up, but absolutely useless at pulling - as you found.

A compact geared motor, perversely, will pull your trailer much better.

There are one or two ebikes just about in your budget at Halfords.

They have basic hub motors, but are 36v and should pull nicely.

The Carrera hub drive with the Suntour motor pulls and rides well.

Might be worth seeing what you can screw Halfords down to, but it will be a hundred or two more than your budget.
Thank you so much - that is really helpful! That makes sense as I tested the Giant without the trailer and it seemed fine (before I bought it!) I'm planning to buy second hand - do you know how I can check if the motor is a compact geared motor rather than a direct drive?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can google the model of the motor for its specifications.
You need about 45NM-50NM to pull a small trailer.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
do you know how I can check if the motor is a compact geared motor rather than a direct drive?
Appearance is a good guide.

The useless direct drive motors are usually large in diameter, hence the term 'pancake'.

Geared hub motors are usually compact, often not much bigger than the biggest cog on the gears.

Don't forget you will want a rear hub drive for towing.

Diamonds

Jan 4, 2020

The useless direct drive motors are usually large in diameter, hence the term 'pancake'.

Geared hub motors are usually compact, often not much bigger than the biggest cog on the gears.

Thank you very much!

Diamonds

Jan 4, 2020

Thank you!