Big Bear LS Front Puncture

euphoriabuzz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2018
Has anyone successfully removed the front wheel? The spanners that come with the bike do not fit the nut on the front hub, I have measured and think I need an 18mm spanner. Can anyone confirm this for me as I also saw a 19mm on line. Thanks for any help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, many of these motor wheels have 18 mm nuts. That's because the spindle is larger than the usual 10 mm, being 12 mm to accommodate the input cable.

Unfortunately many spanner sets don't include an 18 mm, but you can make one if you have some old spanners rather than paying out for a new one.

See this link on my Torq web site.

euphoriabuzz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2018
Yes, many of these motor wheels have 18 mm nuts. That's because the spindle is larger than the usual 10 mm, being 12 mm to accommodate the input cable.

Unfortunately many spanner sets don't include an 18 mm, but you can make one if you have some old spanners rather than paying out for a new one.

See this link on my Torq web site.
Thank you for that information, I shall source an 18mm. Am I likely to encounter any other surprises?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for that information, I shall source an 18mm. Am I likely to encounter any other surprises?
Not that I know of, but be careful not to damage the cable where it comes out of the front hub.

However, I don't remove a wheel to repair a puncture, nor ever did when in the trade, it's unnecessary. With the bike upside down or in a stand the tube can be taken out within the side of the fork and worked around within the fork to repair the puncture.

With a rear wheel take the tube out on the non-chain side of course.

If you don't feel confident about doing it with the wheels in place, let the air out and have a practice run at home and you'll see how easy it is. You'll then have more confidence about doing it out on the road.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: D C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Make life easier and replace your tube with a double ended Gaadi tube, since I replaced my old style tube I have yet to encounter a puncture.

Advertisers