Big Brother

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lovely comment on the BBC Radio 4 "Material World" program this afternoon, reflecting the bullying nature of modern government.

A guest speaking about a green transport issue said "There are some cities where people like to cycle, or where the council decides they like to cycle".

:D. Brilliant.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Is it a first..? 5 hours have passed and no response to one of your posts.

They obviously just don't get it T
bw
musicbooks:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe they don't, I hesitated before posting it anyway, but then decided it was worth airing for a try. Sort of "What the heck". :)

I have had a few without responses for a day or so, but it never worries me, I just think as long as there's fresh entries to see, it's good for the health of the site. Nothing worse in a forum than nothing happening at all.

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
Nothing worse in a forum than nothing happening at all.
I would like to disagree.
An auction where nothing happens is worse than a forum where nothing happens.
My ebay auction got a few bids, but still failed to reach a fair price. Although I believe I may do better if I remove my mudguards.
I know I'm off topic so feel free to mod me down, my karma can take it.

styx

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2008
Ludlow Shropshire
Maybe they don't, I hesitated before posting it anyway, but then decided it was worth airing for a try. Sort of "What the heck". :)

I have had a few without responses for a day or so, but it never worries me, I just think as long as there's fresh entries to see, it's good for the health of the site. Nothing worse in a forum than nothing happening at all.
Bring back wotwozere,the site was a much more lively place when he was around.I think a lot of people were disappointed by the way he was treated.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My ebay auction got a few bids, but still failed to reach a fair price. Although I believe I may do better if I remove my mudguards.
Fair comment, I was only thinking of nothing worse in forum terms, many things outside forums far worse and frustrating, like your disappointing auction result.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bring back wotwozere,the site was a much more lively place when he was around.I think a lot of people were disappointed by the way he was treated.
I was happy with Bob (wotwozere) for a long time, several times sticking up for him and giving answers where others took the mickey, but with time he did adopt an irritating and downright anti-social disruptive habit and I'm pleased he was warned. However one feels about him, anti-social behaviour doesn't fit with this site.

However, he wasn't removed, I understand his posts just had to go via admin for a short period to block any anti-social aspect if it occurred. I don't know whether he did post after that, but if he'd made any normal posts, humorous or otherwise, they would have appeared so I assume he abandoned us.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Your auction was a bit doomed to failure though. You live way off the beaten track and expected a high price with pickup only, that's a very niche market.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Lovely comment on the BBC Radio 4 "Material World" program this afternoon, reflecting the bullying nature of modern government.

A guest speaking about a green transport issue said "There are some cities where people like to cycle, or where the council decides they like to cycle".

:D. Brilliant.
Wonderful!! Was that the council of Oceania?

Best regards David

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I was happy with Bob (wotwozere) for a long time, several times sticking up for him and giving answers where others took the mickey, but with time he did adopt an irritating and downright anti-social disruptive habit and I'm pleased he was warned. However one feels about him, anti-social behaviour doesn't fit with this site.

However, he wasn't removed, I understand his posts just had to go via admin for a short period to block any anti-social aspect if it occurred. I don't know whether he did post after that, but if he'd made any normal posts, humorous or otherwise, they would have appeared so I assume he abandoned us.
I was of the impression that he tended to come on line round about chucking out time, and that was the main problem. It's something most of us have done from time to time, though we realize fairly quickly it's not too wise to do that. It took rather too long for him to get that message, I think.

Rog.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I was of the impression that he tended to come on line round about chucking out time, and that was the main problem. It's something most of us have done from time to time, though we realize fairly quickly it's not too wise to do that.
or if you do you learn to self-moderate your behaviour.

I have been no angel whatsoever when it comes to booze, pills and powders and though I am a bit calmer in my 30s than I was in my 20s have occasionally posted on here in states I dare not ride my bike in - but find it makes me think twice about what I post (other than a few typos or grammatical errors...)

IMO blaming substances you have taken by your free choice for dysfunctional behaviour is a complete cop-out and unfortunately one of the very reasons why we still have this puritanical big brother society that Flecc bemoans..

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
back on track

I heard this week that the government, in an attempt to do less with carbon and more without, is hoping more people will cycle instead of driving. Perhaps this is a good time to let 'them' know the dangers; wet white lines, car drivers(!), 35 ton lorries, roundabouts etc and try to get more cycle paths and cycle lanes marked on roads as well as the idea that if there is an accident an unprotected cyclist did not attack the car (probably)
chess

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I heard this week that the government, in an attempt to do less with carbon and more without, is hoping more people will cycle instead of driving. Perhaps this is a good time to let 'them' know the dangers; wet white lines, car drivers(!), 35 ton lorries, roundabouts etc and try to get more cycle paths and cycle lanes marked on roads as well as the idea that if there is an accident an unprotected cyclist did not attack the car (probably)
chess
They're more likely to make cycling helmets and insurance compulsory, and thus reduce the number of cyclists on the road.

I'd like to see something a bit more positive like taking the taxes off all cycling goods. Perhaps they could encourage shops and businesses to go green by offering incentives to encourage them to offer discounts to Customers who arrive by bicycle like Berlin's Maison d'Envie (a fine example).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They're more likely to make cycling helmets and insurance compulsory, and thus reduce the number of cyclists on the road.
Don't worry, if there's something I can absolutely guarantee, those won't happen for these two reasons:

1) They really need people to cycle and are well aware of the effect those measures will have. They even determinedly blocked a move to enforce helmets for children.

2) The killer of any such move, all this sort of cycling legislation is EU wide now and comes from Brussels. With cyclists including their politicians in the major EU cycling countries like Holland and Germany almost never using helmets, it would never come from there.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
chess
The London mayor is probably more worried about parked cars suddenly taking off and flying at him after his recent near miss.

Advertisers