Bike Lock

Kitara

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2016
Please can someone recommend a good bike lock?

I won't be leaving it for hours on end, I just want to be able to lock it up while I pop in to the local shop for ten minutes or so.

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 4366

These ones are very good for a number of reasons:
You can wrap it two turns around the handlebars for convenient storage and carrying;
Not too heavy to slow you down;
Secure enough to resist the tools that the opportunist thieves carry;
Long enough to chain your bike to something solid;
Relatively cheap.

I've never found anything better for occasional parking, like shopping and pub, etc. I would use one for parking in the same place every day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Barrier-Armoured-Cable-Lock-Bicycle-Motorbike-Quad-Bike-Key-1-5m-Security-/371468194473?var=&hash=item567d3ad2a9:m:mcgRqgxfmQpxAqaiUTjL1Tg

Reactions: Kitara

Jay Russell

Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2015
Pennine West Yorkshire
I have a kryptonite D lock. The 'sold secure gold standard' one because that's what the insurance company want. So if insurance is important check their requirements.
I also have a six foot cable to use with it.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I have an Abus D-lock with a plastic coated steel cable. I think it was around £50. It never really worked properly so I could frequently be seen standing at the side of a road in Bristol trying to get the key to engage with the lock. I still use it but it's intermittent at best.

My GF had bought a slightly smaller version of the same thing and it worked twice before she got stuck in Bristol and I had to ride down and spend about ten minutes trying to get the key to work. I even contemplated calling the non-emergency police line to explain that if they see someone hacking the lock off of her bike that the reason was that the lock had jammed. Definitely a situation you don't want to be in.

To be fair, Evans took the lock back immediately and replaced it with a Kryptonite Mini with a steel cable. So, not a good showing from Abus in our experience. I'd probably go for the Kryptonite one next myself.

The other lock I have, and love, is ironically an Abus Frame Lock (also known as cafe locks) which I use if I literally nip in to a local shop. Quick and easy. No good for thieves with vans but there is no way you can ride the bike away. You'd have to carry it so it wouldn't take long for you to find them ;) Easy to fit and cheap. Just make sure you have the correct holes to accommodate it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a cheapo Aldi copy of the Oxford lock linked to by d8.

They are handy and Oxford is a decent brand so probably worth the extra few quid.

Whatever you buy, always carry it locked so you cannot deploy it without the key.

Reactions: Gringo and Kitara

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
No good for thieves with vans but there is no way you can ride the bike away.
You could use a light cable extention in conjunction with your frame lock.
When I had a bike with a frame lock I used a 6mm x1m long cable, just enough to loop around a lamppost and back to the lock.
Here's a long 8mm version as an example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Loop-Security-Bike-Steel-Cable-8mm-x-2-5m/321869551762?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=36381&meid=7aaff162777744be9c5691a6a0d2ab6e&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=321979510394

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Kitara

I don't know what your bike is worth, but after trying out many locks on my fairly pricey bikes I have finally found my perfect lock.
It's seriously hefty, sold secure silver rating, reasonably long (85cms I think) and really does make you feel pretty confident your bike will still be there when you get back.

Best thing is you wear it like a belt (although only velco'd - not locked around you) AND IT IS SO COMFORTABLE you really are unaware you are wearing it even though it weighs a hefty 4lbs.

Downside is it's nearly £50. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new bike though. I guess you get what you pay for. Best security set up for me.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/11300/hiplok-v150-waist-chain-lock

Tony

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
You could use a light cable extention in conjunction with your frame lock.
When I had a bike with a frame lock I used a 6mm x1m long cable, just enough to loop around a lamppost and back to the lock.
Here's a long 8mm version as an example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Loop-Security-Bike-Steel-Cable-8mm-x-2-5m/321869551762?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=36381&meid=7aaff162777744be9c5691a6a0d2ab6e&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=321979510394
Good idea. I actually have one of those with my main lock. :)

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Hi Kitara

I don't know what your bike is worth, but after trying out many locks on my fairly pricey bikes I have finally found my perfect lock.
It's seriously hefty, sold secure silver rating, reasonably long (85cms I think) and really does make you feel pretty confident your bike will still be there when you get back.

Best thing is you wear it like a belt (although only velco'd - not locked around you) AND IT IS SO COMFORTABLE you really are unaware you are wearing it even though it weighs a hefty 4lbs.

Downside is it's nearly £50. Heck of a lot cheaper than a new bike though. I guess you get what you pay for. Best security set up for me.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/11300/hiplok-v150-waist-chain-lock

Tony
That is another very good idea!!

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I use a U Lock combined with a cable.... its a PITA to carry this heavy **, but i only have to carry it when going into town where i'll be locking my bike up.
Those Oxford locks and the like..... they are just short sections of hollow steel tubes. I once had to cut one off due to not having the key, and a hacksaw goes through them in a few seconds.

Kitara

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 15, 2016
Thank you for all of the suggestions, they are very much appreciated. :)