Bike similar to Claud Butler Glide 2?

Ami84

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2017
Bristol
Hi all, I'm new here :)
I am looking for some advice please.

I unfortunately had my Claud Butler glide 2 stolen a few weeks ago and I am looking to replace it with something similar.

I am looking for a step through bike with front suspension, but most importantly a throttle based on the old law - over 4mph, so will need to be an older bike and not brand new.

I'm not sure if it's still possible to buy the older bikes new? Or if I'll need to buy second hand, but just wondered if anyone could throw some names out there for me to search for cos so far I'm not finding much :(

My budget is £1000 but the less the better!

I know it's a bit lazy to want a fast throttle, but I'm not very fit and I managed to get my commute down to 25minutes each way and due to the ridiculous hills I encounter, sometimes I like to give my legs a rest by using the throttle. If I go for a 4mph throttle it will add time to my journey which is even more m precious time away from my children :(

Thanks in advance :)

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Ami

I've a feeling there might be a couple of Wisper 705SE's left which have throttles. It's a similar bike to what you've had nicked, but might be a tad over your budget new. David at Amps (see the Wisper ad on the right column on this page) will be able to let you know.

We got my Wife a 705SE second hand, with throttle and it's a great bike, so a second hand one will be well within your budget. It was a bike I bought for me, to see what riding a hub motored bike was like, but it somehow became 'hers' shortly after I got it home :rolleyes:

Good luck with finding a replacement bike.

Gaz

Ami84

Aug 15, 2017
Bristol
Ooh I'll check that one out, thanks Gaz! Your wife sounds like me, the Glide 2 was meant to be for hubby! Lol

Ami84

Aug 15, 2017
Bristol
Aww that's a shame David, I'm useless with a bar and can't seem to get to grips with one :( thank you for your post though.

I've just been looking at that one in ebay Gaz! I'm going to enquire. Thank you :)

Reactions: Gaz

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Good luck Ami, if you need to know the history of any bike please let us know the frame number and I would be only to pleased to assist. It's worth pointing out that nearly every Wisper bike we have produced over the last 12 years has support in terms of batteries and spare parts, just in case.

All the best, David

Reactions: Ami84
D

Deleted member 4366

Freego bikes with hub-motors have a 4mph throttle, but it can be changed to full-range with a bit of jiggery-pokery. If you get a Freego, I can tell you how to do it. I think Wispers are the same. Oxygen bikes supply a throttle in the box for you to fit yourself. It's very easy to fit - just slide it on the handlebars and plug in the connector.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kudos Safari step thru on offer at the mo you get two bikes for under 1k, you need to check the specs to see if it's right for you.

Ami84

Aug 15, 2017
Bristol
Thank you all for your replies! Currently looking at freego and wisper bikes- may need your secret tip d8veh! :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D

Deleted member 4366

Thank you all for your replies! Currently looking at freego and wisper bikes- may need your secret tip d8veh! :)
Since this morning, I've had confirmation that the Wisper can be changed to normal full-range throttle. If you buy either, send me a PM and I can tell you how to change them.

The Kudos Safari is not a bad bike. The batteries last a very long time and the motors have quite a bit of climbing power. Build quality is not in the same class as a Kalkhoff, but that doesn't mean that it won't give you years of trouble free cycling. There's one that's owned by a member of staff at my local Morrisons. She parks it there a couple of times a week AFAICT. I left her a card telling her to contact me if she ever had a problem as I'm listed as the local dealer. In three years, she hasn't contacted me yet and there's no other Kudos dealers around here.

Ami84

Aug 15, 2017
Bristol
Since this morning, I've had confirmation that the Wisper can be changed to normal full-range throttle. If you buy either, send me a PM and I can tell you how to change them.

The Kudos Safari is not a bad bike. The batteries last a very long time and the motors have quite a bit of climbing power. Build quality is not in the same class as a Kalkhoff, but that doesn't mean that it won't give you years of trouble free cycling. There's one that's owned by a member of staff at my local Morrisons. She parks it there a couple of times a week AFAICT. I left her a card telling her to contact me if she ever had a problem as I'm listed as the local dealer. In three years, she hasn't contacted me yet and there's no other Kudos dealers around here.

I certainly will, thanks so much for your advice :)