bike spokes

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Just noticed those you said about on eBay they are 160mm will they be ok then as mine are 162mm

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You may want to double check the spoke length as I should have said to measure to the cl of the elbow so may be another 1mm or so longer. Don't go mad and remove to many spokes as it will go out of true if not already done so, you should only need to remove one spoke and this is usually in the way when you lace a spoke from the outside of the hub flange. Spokes laced from the inside of the hub flange end up easiest as they only go over one spoke for a one cross, for a 2 cross it goes over and then is gently flexed under to get to the nipple also you will need a spoke key.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just noticed those you said about on eBay they are 160mm will they be ok then as mine are 162mm
I only linked to those as an example you need to make sure you order the right diameter spokes, what did yours measure dia wise. 2mm are 14g, 2.6 mm are 12g and 3.2mm are 10g.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I only linked to those as an example you need to make sure you order the right diameter spokes, what did yours measure dia wise. 2mm are 14g, 2.6 mm are 12g and 3.2mm are 10g.
Well I really measured again from inside the elbow to end of spoke thread it is 162mm I also used a electronic digital caliper to measure diameter of spoke. It said 2.05mm and the nipple key what fits is no 12 if that's any help

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well I really measured again from inside the elbow to end of spoke thread it is 162mm I also used a electronic digital caliper to measure diameter of spoke. It said 2.05mm and the nipple key what fits is no 12 if that's any help
Right then spoke length 162 or 163 will work.
Spoke key suggests they are 12g however 2.05mm dia suggests 14g !!!
Is the digi caliper calibrated correctly ?
Have you a spoke key with 14 to try ?
I wouldn't get any spokes until you are sure of the sizing needed.
A LBS would be able to confirm spoke sizing my feeling is they will be 12g.
Also what bike is it.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Right then spoke length 162 or 163 will work.
Spoke key suggests they are 12g however 2.05mm dia suggests 14g !!!
Is the digi caliper calibrated correctly ?
Have you a spoke key with 14 to try ?
I wouldn't get any spokes until you are sure of the sizing needed.
A LBS would be able to confirm spoke sizing my feeling is they will be 12g.
Also what bike is it.
Hi I have took some more snapshots for you to look at as I have got spoke key wrong, its 13 not 12, definitely not 14 as that wont even fit and when I checked dia with this dig caliper and really push jaws tight onto spoke its about 2.00 maybe 2.01 etc. also when you said about 162 or 163 will work. it was hard trying to remove a new spoke from rim hole as a bit tight to move so its away from rim so i can lay it flat to remove from hole. I will double check before i buy any. probably best to take 1 spoke to a LBS see if they can tell me. but its definitely 13 spoke key not 12 now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That makes a bit more sense now 13g or 2.3 mm, the first pic looks right for length so 164mm looks good and the caliper reading at 2.19mm is near as a damn to 13g size.
Here a link where you can order the length and quantity you require for not silly money.
http://www.tillercycles.co.uk/page2.html

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
That makes a bit more sense now 13g or 2.3 mm, the first pic looks right for length so 164mm looks good and the caliper reading at 2.19mm is near as a damn to 13g size.
Here a link where you can order the length and quantity you require for not silly money.
http://www.tillercycles.co.uk/page2.html

Hi once again many thanks, but today i went to a LBS so they could measure a spoke better than I did. the shortest spokes they had was 168mm so no good but like I said they measured my spoke with a Cyclo Spoke Ruler. and said its 163mm long 2.34mm diameter, and of course fits a 13 spoke key. but said nipple is 4mm so is this going to be the same as what you have linked a web page to

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks 100%, scroll down the page to the 9th offering @65p per spoke/nipple combo and order your amount and size required. The LBS confirming 2.34mm makes it 13g, your caliper must be a bit out or you tightened the jaws to much.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Looks 100%, scroll down the page to the 9th offering @65p per spoke/nipple combo and order your amount and size required. The LBS confirming 2.34mm makes it 13g, youir caliper must be a bit out or you tightened the jaws to much.

so order say 6 of these spokes which I take it is complete with nipples.

also I will buy one of those spoke keys as seem better so do i order that red one

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes they are the spokes and the nipples come with them.
I use a hardened black spoke key as you have got and find it very good, for 4mm nipples you need the blue one if you want that type but have to ask them to modify it.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Yes they are the spokes and the nipples come with them.
I use a hardened black spoke key as you have got and find it very good, for 4mm nipples you need the blue one if you want that type but have to ask them to modify it.
Dam I went and ordered the red one. Unless I can order the blue one and cancel red one. But don't think I can now. It's just that I like those type of spoke keys.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Email them and ask for confirmation to change the key, or try phoning them on the chance they might be there to answer on a Sunday.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Email them and ask for confirmation to change the key, or try phoning them on the chance they might be there to answer on a Sunday.
Well I have now also ordered the blue key which says modified to 4.00mm

And also have e-mailed them too stating I ordered red by mistake. So hopefully they will refund me the red one

I had a go at replacing a spoke key the one I took measurement from. You have to really bend the spoke to fit back to the hole in rim. So I hope when I tighten them it will straighten them

D

Deleted member 4366

Spokes don't mind being bent when inserted. Once in place, do your best to straighten by hand. The rest will pull out when you tighten them.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Spokes don't mind being bent when inserted. Once in place, do your best to straighten by hand. The rest will pull out when you tighten them.

ok thanks for that d8veh much appreciated

Those spoke keys have a square hole. If you get the wrong size, you can lick one side with a Dremmel's carbide disc to make it fit. The keys with a diamond-shaped hole are much better. They don't round-off the nipple.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/shop-tools/570-duospoke-wrench-13g---4.3-mm

well when i asked in a bike shop they said my spoke nipples are 4mm I have placed some snaps below. the nipples look 4 sided to me square

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I got a reply from the bike shop who is sending the spokes etc and spoke key he said this below. he didn't receive my 1st mail telling him about error

Hi , sorry not had that email, the red key will suit the nipples that come with the spokes 4mm refers to the body size not the key side, best to confirm this before I send you the wrong one. Thanks Graham

I dont see what he means by body size

I have now had another e-mail from the bike shop supplying the spokes he has said this

I can not tell what size key your nipples need as you are using a spoke key with old gauge measurements, spoke nipples are now produced in mainly three sizes (across the flats) 3.23mm. 3.30mm, 3.45mm, 4mm refers to the round body of the nipple, the round part of nipple between the flats and the head, so your bike shop might of meant that or across flats of a 5mm nipple which uses a key of 3.96mm or 4.00mm.

The D.T Champion 13g spokes come with a nipple that uses the 3.45mm across the flats nipple so you need to check the measurements of across the faces of your nipples with a vernier, the 5mm body nipples only usually come with the Sapim Leader 13g but if you can tell me which you need I will supply the nipples with the correct spoke key.

have now received another mail from bike shop he now says this

O.k so we have established you need 4mm dia nipples for your rim so I will send those and the red key (and refund the blue one) there are a lot of odd size nipples from non branded suppliers so I can not tell from pictures, you will need to use your multi spoke key for your 3.64 nipples.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I have recieved the new spokes, but something is badly wrong as the thread is poking through the nipple. but when i measure them with old spokes they same size 163mm thats what i was told at a LBS. I have even tried my old nipples and its still same the spokes alternate on each side so i know its right, I have included some snaps shots

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have replied by pm.
For benefit of others who may end up with similar issue then I can only say that the spoke laced through the hub (if a few spokes missing) is being threaded in to the wrong nipple. If the new spokes as you say are the same length then there is no other answer, when new to wheel building or replacing spokes it can be easy to make an error esp with a few missing spoke near to each other.

Advertisers