Bike tool kit?.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Hello all, can anyone recomend a pre packed bike tool kit?.

I have penty of tools being a motorcycle mechanic but is there a kit with crank arm pullers, bottom braket tools etc or am I best ordering it all seperate?.

Any ideas what tools I would need to fit a BBS kit to my Carrera bike (Shimano) or is every case different?. Nothing worse than getting stuck in only to find you need to order a special tool..

Cheers All.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I would buy separate tools. That way you can research tools and buy the best brand of each one. Some of those generic toolkits contain either tools you just won't use, or tools of questionable quality.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Crank puller and Bb tool is all you should need, you should have everything else already. Well mabe a chain tool as well.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Thanks!, may be worth a trip to Halfords when I've got all my kit ready then?, or any decent bike tool makes to look out for?.

I by Snap-on at work and as you say a tool made out of toffee is next to no good..

I have a free wheel/ cassette socket already, chain whip and chain link remover; pointless buying it all twice. A plastic toolbox for the cycle bits would be a better buy.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The only other thing is a bike stand.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Yeh Lidl had them on offer a while back and still kicking myself for not buying one as they were decent by all accounts!.

Most of my bike maintenance is resting them on handlebars and seat, old school..

Reactions: Terry1100

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I tried one of the cheap workstands but it was broken on arrival so sent it back, I got a Park Tools portable stand instead and it was much better. A cheap stand is much better than nothing but you do get what you pay for.
For other tools ebikes are usually old tech and standard but yours may not be, as cheap tools feel like they are made of chocolate I tend to buy what I need individually before I start that job. I haven't needed to buy many tools, most are found in a standard mechanics kit.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Mentioned the Lidl bike stand to the wife and she said they had them on offer at £20!.

Used it this morning on my Carrera project and it's excellent, even put up with me swinging off the bottom bracket to remove it (cartridge was in bloody tight!).

Very happy!.

Advertisers