Black Friday weekend commuter bike

jasoncommuter

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2018
Hi all newbie here! I currently do 7 miles commute to a tube station and then spend an hour all sweaty before I get to work. Ideally I want something I can do the full 22 miles for the whole journey to work, but at the moment just not fit enough to do 44 miles! Just wondering do you think this would be feasible on an Ebike!? Any recommendations and has anyone seen anything good on black Friday?
So far I'm looking at the oxygen sb mtb, westhill energise, and a whoosh (can't remember the model).
Not sure if ebike is the way to go for this distance or whether to get a little moped or something. I had a go on the crossfire at halfords and thought it was great fun, the problem is I have to carry stuff in my bag which can sometimes be heavy so worries about doing my back in. Thanks for any advice in advance

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
7 miles to the tube on a folder OK, 22 miles to work is a real commitment and requires a bike up to the task. There are some nice electric mopeds about and Vespa is coming out with an electric scooter https://elettrica.vespa.com/fr/index.php

• Agree
Reactions: Marwood Hill

jasoncommuter

Just Joined
Nov 23, 2018
7 miles to the tube on a folder OK, 22 miles to work is a real commitment and requires a bike up to the task. There are some nice electric mopeds about and Vespa is coming out with an electric scooter https://elettrica.vespa.com/fr/index.php
Thanks for this, any recommendations on the type of bike for 22 miles? I leave my bike at the station at the moment, would you say leaving an electric at station for 8 hours is. Good idea

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Buy a folder and take it with you in the train. Or convert a cheap beat up bike that no one would want to steal with a motor kit. You only need a smallish battery for 14 miles so you take it off the bike and bring it to work with you. All the value is in the battery, your most expensive component.

For 22 miles you need to have a super flat commute and just use the motor for stop and start traffic being able to pedal faster than 15 mph. It will take you over an hour on a legal pedelec. An s-pedelec would be more realistic and you commute would be about an hour depending on traffic. But then you would be an outlaw :cool:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
There are a few threads on people doing similar mileage, Oxygen seems to be popular choice. Not sure UK winter is good time to start doing this.

A rack and quality pannier bags are a must for commute of this length.