BMS woes

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
My BMS is playing up on my 48v 14.5ah Hailong battery.
Out of warranty now so found the exact one on PSWPower for sale so ordered it.
Turned up today but was ‘similar but not the same. 2 multi connectors instead of one so full re-wire now needed. Beyond me. Any recommendations near Staffs are to fit the BMS.?
All battery cells are good.
Pictures show advertised BMS and actual BMS..

Attachments

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
My BMS is playing up on my 48v 14.5ah Hailong battery.
Out of warranty now so found the exact one on PSWPower for sale so ordered it.
Turned up today but was ‘similar but not the same. 2 multi connectors instead of one so full re-wire now needed. Beyond me. Any recommendations near Staffs are to fit the BMS.?
All battery cells are good.
Pictures show advertised BMS and actual BMS..
Current BMS

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BMS they supplied you with a 15s BMS, B3 and B5 look like they have been linked as one to be come B3 or B5 is just omitted as this will be the side for the 7 wire connector, the other side will be for the 6 wire connector so B12 I assume is not used and/or is linked to B14. By linking or omitting these two on each side of the board one then gets the 13 cell group connections instead of the 15 there would have been.

B14 on the new board is B12, the B12 new board is dead or linked so the pin isn't utilised. The last White wire next to the Red one on the old connector is B12.

There is no B0- connection so the Black thin wire on the old board can be simply solder to B- along with the thick Black wire.
The next thin White wire (old board) is B1+ so will solder to B1 wire on the new connector, the next thin wire (old board) is B2+ so connects to the other side and connector on the new board. Then alternate one at a time cut and connect each wire going odd, even, odd & even toing and froing until you get to the last thin Red wire (old board) which is B13+ will solder to B15 on the new board.

On the new board B1 is B1, B3 is B3, B5 is omitted/not used or linked to B3. Then B7 is B5, B9 is B7, B11 is B9, B13 is B11 & B15 is B13 Red thin wire.

It is a bit of a pigs ear so hopefully you can make sense of my ramblings.

The 6 wire connector is the even numbered side because there are only 6 even cell group numbers, the 7 wire being the odd numbered side because there are 13 odd numbered cell groups.
One will have to cut one wire and solder it one at a time and heat shrink the joint to the new connectors. Don't have the connectors plugged in when you solder and like wise disconnect the old connector before cutting each wire.

B5 and B12 pins on the new boards aren't used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil5403

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
The BMS they supplied you with a 15s BMS, B3 and B5 look like they have been linked as one to be come B3, as this will be the side for the 7 wire connector, the other side will be for the 6 wire connector so B12 I assume is not used and/or is linked to B14. By linking these two on each side of the board one then gets the 13 cell group connections instead of the 15 there would have been.
B12 on the new board so B14 is B12 the last White wire next to the Red one on the old connector.

There is no B0- connection so the Black thin wire on the old board can be simply solder to B- along with the thick Black wire.
The next thin White wire (old board) is B1+ so will solder to B1 wire on the new connector, the next thin wire (old board) is B2+ so connects to the other side and connector on the new board. Then alternate one at a time cut and connect each wire going odd, even, odd & even toing and froing until you get to the last thin Red wire (old board) which is B13+ will solder to B15 on the new board.

On the new board B1 is B1, B3 is B3, B5 is omitted/not used or linked to B3. Then B7 is B5, B9 is B7, B11 is B9, B13 is B11 & B15 is B13 Red thin wire.

It is a bit of a pigs ear so hopefully you can make sense of my ramblings.

The 6 wire connector is the even numbered side because there are only 6 even cell group numbers, the 7 wire being the odd numbered side because there are 13 odd numbered cell groups.
One will have to cut one wire and solder it one at a time and heat shrink the joint to the new connectors. Don't have the connectors plugged in when you solder and like wise disconnect the old connector before cutting each wire.
That is great info thanks but it is beyond me as I am not a good solderer!
I will try to find an ebike battery person locally as I do not want to post it.
Failing that I will give it to my brother in law who tinkers with remote aeroplane batteries and give him the instructions above..
It would have been so much simpler if PSWPower would have sent me the BMS I ordered!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That is great info thanks but it is beyond me as I am not a good solderer!
I will try to find an ebike battery person locally as I do not want to post it.
Failing that I will give it to my brother in law who tinkers with remote aeroplane batteries and give him the instructions above..
It would have been so much simpler if PSWPower would have sent me the BMS I ordered!
I'll do it for you if you can bring it to Telford and collect when done. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You would of had to get someone any way to solder the board up as one has to disconnect the three thick wires for B-,P- & C- and solder them to the new board.

The info is still relevant to your B-I-L and others on the forum for future guidance.
Of course if you are near or not far from vfr he will need no guidance and will do it in his sleep (as to speak).

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil5403

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
You would of had to get some one any way to solder the board up as one has to disconnect the three thick wires for B-,P- & C- and solder them to the new board.

The info is still relevant to your B-I-L and other s on the forum for future guidance.
Of course if you are near or not far from vfr he will need no guidance and will do it in his sleep (as to speak).
Thanks for that. Sent PM to vfr for some sleep work...
I would have got my BIL to do the basic soldering.