Boeing 787 battery failure

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the time I found it almost unbelievable that Boeing had stuck with lithium cobalt, considering how well known that chemistry's potential for fire problems was. Long before the first entry into service of the 787, there were very safe compound-cathode alternatives that were no larger or heavier and also capable of doing the job, as that Battery University article makes clear.

Hopefully a lesson well learnt now.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
At the time I found it almost unbelievable that Boeing had stuck with lithium cobalt, considering how well known that chemistry's potential for fire problems was. Long before the first entry into service of the 787, there were very safe compound-cathode alternatives that were no larger or heavier and also capable of doing the job, as that Battery University article makes clear.

Hopefully a lesson well learnt now.
You know flecc, me and the other lipo boys are getting jolly well fed up with your disparaging narrative on ourcell's. Why apart from the singular conflagration of one shed and two ebicycles I myself find them utterly safe in the right hands!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You know flecc, me and the other lipo boys are getting jolly well fed up with your disparaging narrative on ourcell's. Why apart from the singular conflagration of one shed and two ebicycles I myself find them utterly safe in the right hands!
But I didn't mention lipo! This is so often mixed up it's worth repeating what I've regularly posted. Polymer refers to a construction, not a chemistry. The term lipo to describe a battery is meaningless, since a "lipo" can be of any lithium battery chemistry; safe or dangerous; cobalt, manganese, various compound cathode or iron-phosphate.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Yes flecc of course but the term is generally understood to refer to the high density cells most commonly used in the RC world as you know. I thought they had cobalt cathodes and therefore were more volatile or reactive ?? However I noticed that Hobbyking now sells cells using iron phosphate (Lifepo) with similarly dimensions and extreme discharge rates. I guess I should look it up eh? :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes Hech, I know it's the model world to blame rather than the e-biking world who just seemed to have picked up on that usage. Very confusing though, when I ask someone what type of battery when they have been experiencing problems and they answer lipo!

I think most of the "lipos" in the model world did previously use cobalt cathodes since that was for long the easiest way to get high performance from a small package, but times have changed and other chemistries, including the complex compounds using cobalt more safely, are close enough in performance to take over.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Flecc.
I think it was 2012 or 2011 that the Belgian Post Office had fires with their new electric bikes, was this the cause?

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Latest Boeing fire nothing to do with batteries ! phew!

From BBC
"But the AAIB investigators found the fire damage to Ethiopian's aircraft was not near the batteries.

Instead, they have found that the fire was in the upper rear part of the 787 Dreamliner, where the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) is fitted. ". Phew!
Mikey

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
From BBC
"But the AAIB investigators found the fire damage to Ethiopian's aircraft was not near the batteries.

Instead, they have found that the fire was in the upper rear part of the 787 Dreamliner, where the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) is fitted. ". Phew!
Mikey
Maybe`Emergency Locator Tranmitter' is this just corporate speak for `signal fire'. Perhaps, in the event of an emergency, or if they just forgot where they parked the plane, a small fire is started in the rear of the fuselage. In which case everything is working as planned.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From BBC

Instead, they have found that the fire was in the upper rear part of the 787 Dreamliner, where the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) is fitted. "
So that's alright, when the 787 I'm on is plunging out of the sky in flames I'll feel better knowing it wasn't a battery problem! :confused:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
The good news is that its not the main batteries again, but the bad news is that its in the Emergency locator device area and its not covered by the fire detection system I believe at the moment? but at least they have taken the in-built ones out of service until futher tests are done and replaced by tempory ones which have proven safe.

Bob.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
From BBC

Mikey
Oh, that's all right, then.
Nothing more than a normal fire - aboard an aircraft that's about as fire-resistant as a box of matches.

Advertisers